Summer Transfer Window Rumors/Official

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by phoenixhazard, Feb 28, 2014.

1. calmanalysis

calmanalysis Member

Aug 16, 2008
    NYC
    The chance to hire Martinez came and went 2 years ago. And to be fair to Levy, nobody was sure how Martinez would fare at the next level. Wigan played attractive football but were terrible defensively at times. What we now see is given better footballers, the goals Wigan leaked as a result of their back line playing themselves into trouble have been largely eradicated by his Everton team. And I am happy to see him succeed. Since reading an article on him a few years ago where he instilled in his Wigan players the history / significance of playing for Wigan, I've liked him.

Count Chocula and BalanceUT repped this.
  2. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah have to say I'm surprised, was expecting them to start wobbling defensively. It will still be interesting to see how they cope next season with Jagielka and Distin in their 30's, Lukaka probably moving on, plus those extra European games.

Just goes to show what the right managerial appointment can do though, got better results than Moyes and playing better football in his first season, and Moyes was considered very highly for what he did there.

3. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    would love to see Howard in the Champion's League though

anyone know if he would be the first american in europe?

4. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    johnny harkes would've played in europe for sheffield Wednesday as early as '92. without giving it too much thought, i'd guess there are quite a few more.

edit: dempsey's goal vs juventus comes to mind. hell, dempsey played in europe for us.

5. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I meant Champions League, sorry

6. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Didn't donovan play a champions league game for leverkusen ... or maybe it was bayern? Against liverpool, I think. He was shyte.

7. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don't know but Donovan has definitely redeemed himself

8. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Yes.

9. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there were some posters in here that wanted Martinez badly when Harry was sacked. and a few that thought Rogers should have been appointed manager as well.

one thing about Martinez, his teams seem to fare better injury-wise than others - squad rotation and fitness seem to be important parts of his management style - something spurs could really improve upon

10. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    john O'Brien played in a CL quarterfinal for ajax against ac Milan in 2003.

then there's timmy howard's infamous parry against porto for man u in the round of 16 in '04. that moment went no small way to making jose mourinho the insufferable twunt that he is today.

and apparently freddy adu played in a champions league qualifier with benfica vs Copenhagen.

but that's all I've come up with in about six hours of thought whilst at work. if there are more, I can't think of 'em.

oh, and Donovan's appearance v liverpool was, in fact, with Leverkusen in the round of 16 in 2005.

11. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ah ok, thanks for the research

id prefer everton top 4 than arsenal tho, and im sure you all do too. hopefully we can take 5th from them too

12. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    DaMarcus Beasley played CL multiple times for PSV & Rangers. Mo Edu for Rangers.

13. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    crikey! damarcus lived just a few blocks down from me. how'd i forget that?

14. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well some reports (if you accept Van Gaal is agreed) that he has already told the club to go for Veltman of Ajax and Clasie of Feyenoord.

15. masoccerscout

masoccerscout Member

Nov 5, 2005
    Springfield, MA.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I need to look these players up. Hopefully at least one is a top defender and one can create / play at a high tempo (both things sorely lacking on the current team).

16. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Veltman is a defender. Not a super physical presence, but has good timing and intelligence. He didn't become a starter until this year after they sold Alderwiereld, but he convinced a lot of people pretty quickly including van Gaal. I haven't been able to watch much Ajax in the second half of the season though, and I hear he hasn't been playing as great as he was at the beginning of the season. He's also still quite young for a defender and relatively inexperienced. IMO it would be bad for his development to go to a top league like the EPL already. He wont solve Spurs' defensive problems, and it wont take too many mistakes for people to write him off (and he still makes a few mistakes in games).

Clasie is a player I've wanted Spurs to get since AVB came. High handling speed defensive midfielder. Problem is his stamina and he struggles with dynamic #10s apparently. He'd be a good deep lying play maker with a partner like Sandro who can take care of the bulk of the defensive work.

17. vasilli07

vasilli07 Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
  18. Raffaelo

Raffaelo Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Wandering the Desert
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Did they mean "style of play" or "style of hair product" ?

19. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read an article on Sky saying Tom is possibly going to consider his options. That would suck. The kid is amazing and I really hope that would not happen. He is really good and I have been watching some of his games while he is in the Championship and he has been amazing. He is so confident on the ball and makes stuff happen. He is kind of our home grown modric, but has a some way to go to hit those heights. Still he needs a big chance in the squad. Maybe one more year out on loan would be good, but I doubt he will want to do that as he will want somewhere to call home.

20. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is why you don't sell your f*ing best player!!!! Single handedly won the match for them

21. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    I hope at the very least we don't lose money when we sell Lamela this summer. I'm just not buying the "injury" story.

phoenixhazard repped this.
  22. SPUR-ious

SPUR-ious Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    He's not going anywhere this summer.

23. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Argentine dos Santos.

I just imagine physio Gary Glitter having a field day with Erik.

24. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Neither was Bale.

25. SPUR-ious

SPUR-ious Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Completely different situations.