Juandering who we are going to sell next, or does it Mata? - The Chelsea Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by fernb8, Feb 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I can't see Dave playing at LB next season. It's kind of weird to think our first choice LB has no left foot.

2. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Well for a left back with no left foot, he's been the best LB in the league.

I see no reason to fix something that clearly is not broken.

I do however feel we need a backup with pace and the ability to get toward. Cole has lost so much pace he's become a liability.

@Miguel Alvarez

Kalas is a CB but he spent a good portion of his time in Holland as a RB. He's similar to Bane in that regard.

3. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Kalas can play RB as well per @Blueallthru and Omerou has spent some time there

I do not see Wallace getting a UK work permit any time soon after his lack of games with Inter

Blueallthru repped this.
  4. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Maybe Wallace is a longterm solution, but he needs a loan in the worst way as fern says.

The thing with Kalas is, IIRC the club want him as a CB, but with Zouma's purchase perhaps they've changed their stance. Bane isn't getting any younger and his backup is our best left back.

5. Miguel Alvarez

May 12, 2006
    My understanding was that we had to loan him out because he was ineligible for a working permit.

Having your RB "backup" who's playing left back almost every game isn't the answer though.

Interested to see what we're going to do with our entire back-line next season.

6. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Wallace has an EU work permit but not a UK work permit.

I think the LB area will be the primary area addressed during the summer. Bertrand seems to be safe bet to move on and I think Ash will go as well. I believe that PVA comes back and is most likely joined by a new signing with Shaw being the primary target and then any one of the other ten LBs we have been linked to recently. Dave gives us a great deal of flexibility in that if things get a little silly in trying to land a LB in terms of transfer fee, wages, etc. then we can start the season with Dave there and move forward as needed.

I think all of the first team CDs return, including Luiz unless we get a silly offer from a club where he wants to move, and then we probably see both Kalas and Omerou loaned with Zouma coming in and competing with the other three.

We seem pretty stable at RB with Ivan and Dave. Wallace will be loaned again due to the work permit with Kane possibly moving on.

7. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    He might be solid defensively and that is obviously quite important, but it helps a whole lot when you can bomb forward and put in an occasional cross. We rely too much on Hazard precisely b/c (but not only) we have no one on the wings to put in either a good cross.

8. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    For the money being quoted for Shaw, no thanks. Our back line is the best in the league right now and we have plenty of talent coming up to replenish. Remember we also have Zouma. PVA may come back to challenge for the #2 spot so why buy if we already have decent cover?

I do think we sell Luiz, though. His value is as high as its going to be and despite Jose starting him in midfield, he doesn't strike me as a Jose guy.

9. BluePict

BluePict Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #609 BluePict, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    And our RB is really a CB and not a RB at all, but he has played so long at RB I think we've all but forgotten that he is in fact a proper CB. CB and "sweeper" his preferred position.

Wasn't David Luiz a sometime LB? I guess modern Total Football is more fluid than we think.

LB purchase for sure - although I would like Luke Shaw - sure I would - but at 30 million quid, well maybe not . . .

10. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, on the defensive end, Cesar maybe unmatched in the League, but he offers very little in attack, which to me is one reason why we struggle against weaker sides.

11. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I guess that's fair, but couldn't the same be said for Bane? Azi is a better defender IMO, and Bane can't cross for shite.

Bruckner283 repped this.
  12. 352klr

352klr Member+

Jan 29, 2001
    The Burgh of Edin
    We're going to run into an issue with the homegrown rule here with Ashley and Frank potentially leaving. 30mm for a LB is obscene but there's a significant premium on talented homegrown players.

That said, Bertrand, 20mm and their choice of a loan player sounds a fair deal (if Pochetino is still there I wouldn't mind Ake or Chalobah going there for a season).

13. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Well Moses returning (long shot I know, but he is homegrown) and PVA fit the bill as replacements.

14. JediSoccer

JediSoccer Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Spokane, Washington
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Does Bertrand Traore get a shot with us next season, or does he yet to obtain a work permit? I like him.

15. BluePict

BluePict Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Moses moving across Merseyside to join old boss at Everton and Ross Barkley moving towards London. That might be a move to consider?

16. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    He's been really good as of late but IMO he needs a full season on loan either back with Vitesse or domestically (although he might be short of a work permit next year). He has the potential to have a Piazon type season next year in the Eredivise.

17. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    For sure, but if you think Shaw is expensive wait for the bidding war on Barkley. He could legitimately cost upwards of £40m.

18. Bruckner283

Bruckner283 Member+

Apr 25, 2006
    Lake Of The Coheeries
    Not denying there is talent there but where would he play? The only place he could play is next to Matic and I am not sure he can. If we are truly interested it would probably be best to buy him and loan him back to Everton.

19. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This, just to piss off Arsene.

20. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Ash and Frank seem to be less than vital contributors at the moment and we have other homegrown players out on loan who may help fill the void they will be leaving.

sounds like a deal ;)

21. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    he may be able to land one of the "exceptional talent" permits but I do not expect it to be likely at this stage

Blueallthru repped this.
  22. BluePict

BluePict Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #622 BluePict, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    Well yes, of course the money is silly - very silly. BUT if we need English/homegrown players in the squad then as we are the most important club in England we shall need to have the best English players. What IF Arsenal doesn't qualify for the Champions League I wonder if Jack Wilshere would consider moving across town? Or Tom Carroll from Spurs for that matter? So, the real question is, who is good enough to be in our squad? Barkley? Wilshire? Carrol? Shaw? Chalobah? Rodwell?* Oxlade-Chamberlain? Ramsey? Considering we are the most important football club in the country. Which we are. :)

* Rodwell signed for Citeh for the reasonable price of £12 million - which might rise to £15 million. which certainly makes you wonder about the fees attached to these young English players when Chelsea might want to sign them

23. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Who?? :0

24. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Instead of spending 40mill on a guy who may not necessarily fit into our team, maybe we'd be smarter signing homegrown players that are affordable and would be good squad players. Or leaving a pipe line open to our own youngsters actually getting a shot with the first team

fernb8 and Miguel Alvarez repped this.
  25. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Not going to happen. If Jose exceeds my expectations and manages to stay here longer than 2 years, yeah we'll see more homegrown players being integrated but thats never been his style. He buys the players he feels he needs and has a clear vision for whoever it is he's managing. Of course this summer we'll have a much clearer picture of what will go down, but as of now I don't see that happening.

Of course I could be talking out my ass right now... I'm not overly familiar with his Inter and Madrid teams so he could have brought up some youngsters that I'm unaware of. So if someone wants to educate me haha, feel free.