NASL 2014 Season News

Discussion in 'NASL' started by eclipse02, Nov 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #601 Sam U El, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
    Actually I don't see what the big feking deal is... What's wrong with claiming or highlighting or emphasizing American Soccer History? Sometimes some of the pushback reeks of pettiness. Personally I thought it was cool for the San Jose Earthquakes to celebrate their 40 year club history. I also think having teams from the past reemerge today is important and let's be frank here it's not like it hurts MLS... If anything it has benefitted MLS and I think it's great for the fans old and young and the continued growth of the game. How many people didn't like the video entry MLS did on Betheleham Steel? Or the fact that the Union have a kit that reflects that history... I'd personally like to see the Riverhounds change their name to Steel. Sports history binds people together just like the rest of History it's a shared experience that can be passed on to our kids and who doesn't think that's a good thing?

Flex Buffchest repped this.
  2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing, just like there is nothing wrong with USL claiming to be best run most professional league below MLS. ;)

SoccerPrime, Jossed and CHHSfan repped this.
  3. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure anyone has said there's anything wrong with it...we just can't figure out their math. If they're counting the Soccer Bowl as starting in 1967...what are the first and second oldest professional soccer prizes in the United States?

They can't be talking about defunct pro league titles, because there are more than two of them--the ALPF, two of the three ASLs, the EPSL, the ISL, the NASFL, etc.

They might be talking about the US Open Cup, except that it's, well, an open competition (that has often been dominated by amateur teams), not a professional competition. But I think most people would let that slide.

The only other candidate would be the CONCACAF Champions' League, if you count it as an American competition and date it from starting with the first Champions' Cup in 1962.

The weirdest possibility is that they're counting from 2011, and the only two "older" US pro soccer competitions are the Open Cup and the MLS Cup. Which might technically be correct but seems like a strange choice of words.

In other words--we're not critical, we're just confused.

(The continued refusal to use the word "playoffs," however, is funny, and you'd be correct if you thought I was making fun of them for that. I'd make fun of MLS, too, if they did the same thing.)

4. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay--did a bit more googling, and found this apparent NASL press release:

Which makes no sense. It's not the new NASL claiming the history of 1967 I object to. It's including one defunct pro soccer league championship, but not the others (for example, including the second ASL but not the first). And for that matter, if you're not limiting it to pro leagues--and this version isn't--the NCAA championship, which has been awarded since 1959, and the National Amateur Cup, which has been around since 1923.

5. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed

6. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there no stunt this league and commissioner can pull without the full and enthusiastic support of all Cosmos fans? It's kind of gross.

7. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that the claim of a third oldest award should be laid out better... However for any team or league to tap into American Soccer history I think it's a good thing.

8. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Not when they completely mangle it.

10. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Though I do.

Again, if I opened a nightclub in Parsippany, New Jersey next week and called it Studio 54, could I claim that Mick Jagger used to party at my place back in the 1970s?

12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could you pay him to come in on Opening day like Pele?

blkbrnrvr repped this.
  13. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may be late to the game on this, but starting (I think) this week, ESPNFC scores list the NASL games below MLS and above EPL.

www.espnfc.com/scores

FlipsLikeAPancake and Prosoccercdn repped this.
  14. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noticed that too today for the first time. Good for NASL.

15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This TOTALLY means they're challenging MLS! It's only a matter of time! They're almost there. The Deacon and Ted just had to call their physicians for something lasting more than four hours.

16. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    TBF they still list the FN English 3rd and 4th divisions, and even more laughably the while Scottish tree down to the 4th division. If they can list that absolute garbage then they can surely list all US leagues. Glad they are.

17. greenroom

greenroom BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Talk about fishing. Kenntomasch sure is on a trip! :thumbsup: But keep up the stank post (I mean bait)

18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blah blah blah. Get a mini-fridge yet?

19. greenroom

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No where I live we have a full kitchen, unlike the room you have. But keep on fishin buddy! I am sure your blah blah life is all exciting for you!

20. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  21. Evil Genius

Evil Genius Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Southern Minnesota
    Do you go outside and yell at clouds? All he was doing was pointing out that ESPNFC was changing their score listings so that NASL shows up while being below MLS, which makes sense since the NASL is the second-tier league in the United States.

Honestly for all you know about the game I wonder about you sometimes...

greenroom repped this.
  22. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is sarcasm lost on you?

That's the general reaction of the overly-rabid fanboys who honestly believe the NASL can seriously challenge MLS. That's not my reaction. Please try and keep up.

I can't believe I have to take the time to explain that, but, there we are.

Bubba1971 repped this.
  23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Says Anonymous Fanboy. Okay, got it.

24. greenroom

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umm no one is saying the NASL is trying to be MLS. The over reaction is on you. Some of us are happy that NASL is getting coverage on ESPNFC which is good for the league. Which is why we would be posting in the NASL forum, and not the NASL is going to overtake MLS forum.

Tinfoil hat?

Skippysasquirrel repped this.