2014 Rapid season Catch- All

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by 22SteveD, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Why would we pay his salary? If the Crew need a cf they will have to pay a cf his salary. Williams rated fine before this year which is why his salary was doubled in the off season. So,they doubled his salary in the off season and the new manager is subbing him out.......

Rapids off load 200k that is duplicated by their dp Torres anyway and pick up a bona fide rb. I'd make that deal.

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but why would the Crew make that deal?

3. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Because they dont have a cf. Who is their cf? They dont have one.

4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So a team that's in first place in their conference and tied (with us) for the second best PPG in the league is desperate enough to take on a CF at $325K that hasn't lived up to his contract yet?

I'm not against moving Buddle, but that's not a desperate enough situation to get him off our books. And again, we don't need a "true" RB at the moment given Piermayr's play the last two games.

Sports Yak and COMtnGuy repped this.
  5. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Way to represent!

It won't take but a couple more wins to overcome that perception of our standing.

Four things I believe (at this moment) about the 2014 rapids.

1. Pablo > mr. 19 losses
    2. Jose Mari > Thomas
    3. Sophomores > freshmen
    4 full season of Sanchez > just tail end of season Sanchez.

Waterboy14, 22SteveD, GreatGonzo and 4 others repped this.
  6. murphyskicks

murphyskicks Member

May 15, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Love how this team is playing. Who on earth thought they'd be sitting on 10 points after @NY, Portland, SKC, @Van, and @Tor. I had a sense Portland was over rated, but that is a tough schedule to come away with 10 points.

7. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You keep making this point, but have you watched Torres play? He struggles to play as a target forward. He and Buddle are not the same. Brown is closer, but still far away, to being a target forward than Torres.

Between that and you completely forgetting about Piermayr, the whole reasoning for your proposed trade is all wrong.

22SteveD, COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  8. _Ace_

_Ace_ Member

Aug 22, 2006
    I wish it was Colo.
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stuart95 repped this.
  9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Two consecutive matches in a 4-4-2, is that PM's preferred formation, or just what he thought would work best to get Torres more involved?

Piermayr looks like he's at worst a solid option at right back.

Serna seems to have good technical ability and is able to see the field very well.

11. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    jayd8888 and Soaker888 repped this.
  13. 30Something

30Something Member

Jun 3, 2004
    5280 Feet
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Piermayr has been good in defense, but his distribution has not been great. Too often he is just launching down the pitch instead of looking to link up with the midfield. Fix that and we have a very solid RB on this squad.

14. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This sounds to me like they need to make a roster move to be able to sign him. We have been getting this message for like 3 weeks now.

Chris Bianchi ‏@Rapids_News ·20h
    Also, team still working on bringing in John Neeskens. #Rapids96

15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well there's no roster or international spot needed to be freed up, we've got the room that way. So the only reason for a roster move would be the salary cap,. but I doubt that's in the way looking at the published numbers.

Maybe Neeskens is holding out for a better offer.

16. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, makes no sense but why keep saying your trying to sign guy and give him more "ammo" to try and increase the cap hit? Just shut up and make a take it or leave it offer.

17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bianchi's saying it, not the Rapids. Who knows who he's getting his info from.

18. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think most view Bianchi simply as a Rapids mouth piece, rightly or wrongly thats my perception. He works for MLS Soccer which is in the end owned by each MLS club owner. Not to mention his twitter is "Rapids_ News"

Has he ever written anything more than marginally negative on Rapids? When people got all over him on Twitter on his "OP will absolutely be back", his response when it turned out different was that he was told this by an "high level" person.

19. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    One conspicuous non-mouthpiece thing he did was start making noise about the home opener being canceled.

JasonMa repped this.
  20. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which year's home opener canceling are you referring too? ;)

Totoro repped this.
  21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's also tried to stoke a GK controversy in recent weeks but nobody but him is talking about it.

22. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Good point. And I should have written "postponed," rather than cancelled. But I bet the FO was pissed just at the postponement talk.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  23. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Probably lots of discussion elsewhere but Atlanta as 22nd MLS city. Talent pool --> thin gruel? I'm sure they will have to make cap adjustments and the $75M franchise fee probably can help cover some of that but while this is exciting it also raises concerns about a talented and fairly young squad (like ours) facing at least some attrition due to repeated rounds of expansion drafts. Maybe they should have us come up with three lists; protected players, un-protected players, and a shorter list (1-3 guys) that someone has to take? ;>)

24. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #249 COMtnGuy, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    Seems Chris now has added Rapid game Weatherman to resume, he is now tweeting weather forcasts for this game...

Chris Bianchi ‏@Rapids_News ·19 hrs
    Updating Saturday’s #Rapids96 forecast: still mild, temps in the low 60s. but 30-40% chance of storms.

25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh, dilution is an overrated concern. If it really becomes an issue the league can just add another international spot or two for each team. But given the number of young players the academies are starting to turn out is the loss of 20 players in the 2015 and another 20 in the 2017 expansion drafts (assuming Miami starts play in 2017) really going to have an effect?

Heck, based on the last expansion draft rules, I only see 7 Rapids that are stone-cold locks to be protected in the upcoming draft beyond the automatically protected HG and GA players. I'm sure by the end of the season players will have played themselves into the other 4 slots but right now I'm not sure who I'd pick for them.
    1. Irwin
    2. Moor
    3. Klute
    4. Jose Mari
    5. Powers
    6. Sanchez
    7. Torres
    Possible 8. Brown (if he graduates from Generation Adidas, which is based on playing time)

Auto protected: O'Neill (HG), Serna (HG), Hairston (GA)

m vann, Dom. FC and Soaker888 repped this.