Yanks Abroad

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Katreus, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't seem to have one of these and stuff seems all over the place. So I thought we should have a thread for anyone that's playing abroad that's American and has something noteworthy (or if someone just wants to talk about them and their team) can go here.

So, I'll start off -

Hagen recently scored 4 for Bayern Munich in the DFB Pokal QF, albeit against 1899 Hoffenheim. She also scored 2 against Frankfurt in the Bayern win a couple weeks back. (Even if Frankfurt's a bit of a mess, they're still one of the top teams in the league.)

Her Bayern stats seem to be thus - 28 Spiele (5 Spiele DFB-Pokal | 23 Spiele 1.Bundesliga), 2309 Minuten | 2 Elfmeter verwandelt | 2 Elfmeter vergeben | 23 Tore (0.82 Tore pro Spiel)

I'm guessing elfmeter verwandelf or vergeben means means cards, but in any case, the other stuff is pretty clear. 28 games total, 23 goals, .82 goals / game. Pretty good year for her so far!

Meanwhile, Horan is tied for 7th on the goalscoring list with 8 goals along with her teammate Asllani and two others, Bouillot and Thomis.

kernel_thai and Namdynamo repped this.
  2. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Anyone not on Lyon will be hard pressed to be high up the goalscoring list. Their 4th string midfielder gets more goals in 12-0 games than other teams get.

3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not a native German speaker, but "elfmeter" means "11 meters". I'm guessing they are talking about PKs taken & scored.

Katreus repped this.
  4. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's this thread in the international forum but it isn't updated all that regularly. There is a nice (translated) excerpt from an interview with an American keeper playing in France that was posted just this week.

5. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    this makes her # ? on the goal scoring charts in the bundesliga?

6. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure when this was last updated but...

http://www.fussballdaten.de/frauen/bundesliga/2013/statistik/

Tied for 4th with Anonma at 8 goals this season. Note that the stats in the 1st post are for all games played with Bayern Munich so they include the spring season she spent with them earlier this year as well as DFB Pokal Cup games.

7. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Yes, pretty much. In this regard, the PK's converted and taken. Verwandeln = to convert, in this instance. Vergeben = to take. So, she converted 2 out 2 PKs taken.

Katreus repped this.
  8. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    i'm a little confused. the other link shows Hagan scoring 8 goals...
    still, 8 is impressive. This is her first year as a pro, or second? between Hagan, Press and Horan, we have 3 impressive uncapped girls who are performing very well at the top level.

WNT camps will be interesting...
    I'd like to see Press play some on the wing.

9. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She's scored 8 goals in the Frauen Bundesliga league games for the season 2012-2013. She's played 28 games for Bayern Munich. This game number includes DFB Pokal Cup games (which is not counted as a league game) as well as the games she played in the 2011-2012 season.

It's her first (calendar) year. She played a half season in the spring and a half season this fall.

10. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Oops, correction y'all: Der Freund says that vergeben in this case means "to award", i.e. 2 penalties awarded. My bad on that one. Either way, gf is pretty good at spot kicks. :)

11. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    One drawback looking at performances based on goal scoring is it only looks at one set of players. It doesn't tell us how players such as Engen have been doing. Plus, it's less exciting for me to hear how even more bloated the pool of forwards looks right now.

12. hasselhoff

hasselhoff Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Engen is in the starting eleven with Liverpool in their WSL Cup match against Everton. The match is on ESPN UK now. Streams at FirstRow .

13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Averbuch scored for Goteborg today but it wasn't enough at the team fell 1-3 to Juvisy, 1-4 on aggregate.

14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Rodrigues was born & raised in the US.

15. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be interesting to compare the numbers of "Yanks" playing abroad to the numbers of Germans, or French, or Japanese, or English, or Swedes, or Brazilians, or Aussies, or etc., playing abroad.

16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/coll...spects:-colorado-gk-makes-swiss-move_aid32542

Like other goalkeepers, Brunner would’ve liked to stay and play in the National Women’s Soccer League, but knows that opportunities on the field are more likely to be found abroad for players in her spot.

“The U.S. league is the cream of the crop for goalkeeping,” she said. “I give so much credit to the women who earn starting spots in the NWSL, these are truly special athletes. I knew if I were to stay, I wouldn't get the playing time I would like, and I also wouldn't get the unique experiences gained from playing in a foreign environment. Those two desires combined to help me decide Europe was where I wanted to be.”

19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The high points of the Americans in the Australian W-League from Equalizer Soccer:

http://equalizersoccer.com/2014/02/19/grainey-nwsl-players-had-big-impact-down-under/

Stephanie Ochs scored 6 times to finish tied for fifth in league scoring for regular season champion Canberra.

American Shawna Gordon, who was on the Breakers’ practice squad roster last year as an amateur, scored once for the two-year old [Western Sydney] Wanderers, who finished seventh and missed the playoffs for the second consecutive season.

Kendall Fletcher, who played at the University of North Carolina and with Los Angeles, St. Louis and Sky Blue FC in WPS. She played this season with Canberra and scored one goal and won a Player of the Week Award.

Midfielder Lori Lindsey added two goals for Canberra United, who won the Premiership (the regular season title).

Midfielder Tori Huster scored twice for the Western Sydney Wanderers. Huster, who played collegiately at Florida State, played for the Newcastle Jets last season.

Spirit backup goalkeeper Chantel Jones was the starter for fifth place Perth Glory in all of their games, recording five victories with two shutouts.

Other Americans in the league:

Lauren Barnes - Melbourne Victory
    Camille Levin - Western Sydney Wanderers. Tough to figure out the season stats without going through game reports (some of which seem to be missing), but she did play though she had some hamstring problems as well.
    Georgia Rowntree - Western Sydney Wanderers. Born in the US, but appears to have lived primarily in Australia. Backup GK.

20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sade Ayinde joins Kopparbergs/Göteborg FC for 3 months:

Kopparberg / Göteborg FC have agreed with the 24-year U.S. midfielder Sade Ayinde after a training week in Gothenburg signed a three month contract with possibility of extension.
    Sade Ayinde comes from the New York Magic.
    - She has been training with us for a week and showed good properties. She is very round but has played most midfielders and seizures clay earlier in his career, says KGFCs sporting director Lasse Svensson.
    - Said has previously played for both the U.S. U17 and U20 national team. Now we hope that she will thrive well here in Gothenburg.

http://www.goteborgfc.se/2014/03/25/amerikanska-klar-för-kgfc-21063134

21. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States