Future of the Silverbacks

Discussion in 'Atlanta NASL' started by TerminusFooty, Sep 13, 2013.

1. RutgerATL

RutgerATL Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really doubt Boris would go with a USL team. While he fields a USL Womens side, he was a pretty big part of the split that formed the NASL. I do not know how welcome he would be.

2. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Commish Peterson was on Vancouver Whitecaps FC Daily podcast today and said the Atlanta Silverbacks and NASL soccer in Atlanta have a "bright future".

TerminusFooty repped this.
  3. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #103 TerminusFooty, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
    Here is the link:
    http://feeds.feedburner.com/TEAMRadio-WhitecapsFCDaily

He is on around minute 29:00. He basically says in this interview that the Silverbacks will NOT fold when MLS starts up, and he thinks there is room for both teams.

I know a lot of folks think this is crazy, but hardcore supporters (myself included) will stick with ASFC if they stick around in NASL. I also think a lot of the suburban "family" crowd will stick around because it's closer and cheaper. Those who make the switch will be soccer fans who have just been checking out the Silverbacks casually or have a strong attachment to MLS. The MLS club will also get a lot of soccer fans who haven't been motivated to check out 2nd division footy at all.

Also, it might be that Peterson is bullsh*tting us trying to make the league look stable, while knowing that the club will fold. Hope not, but ya never know.

Cyclonis and nanoGVSP repped this.
  4. Foxinc

Foxinc Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
  5. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    That would be the only reason I'd have any apprehension. :p

6. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, for sure. We know we got next season at least!

7. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Given previous concerns, I'll take that and run with it.

8. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless and until such time as the Silverbacks decide to fold, it makes no sense to project anything but confidence.

9. penske

penske Member

Feb 21, 1999
    NYC
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    btw, heard from someone earlier that the ASB are confirmed back for next year. So it will be PR as a 12th team or the same 11 teams as expected.

10. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    IMHO if the NASL is going to survive the MLS expansion they got to make a stand somewhere and prove they are able to coexist and even thrive in spite of the proximity to an MLS club. ASB have a good fan base, it would't surprise me if they did stay and where able to survive, they'll have to spent more money though.

11. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Doofus Peterson says stupid things on a daily basis is all that proves.

12. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    There are simple questions you have to ask yourself about the situation, and then you can find your way to some pretty logical, reasonable answers. All signs point to Blank being in position to get a team up and running about the same time as Becks in Miami, say 2017. Traffic has been unable to sell the Silverbacks to this point with no imminent MLS team hanging over their heads. As things progress with Blank now, how much more unlikely do you think it will be that someone would come in and even just take the Silverbacks off Traffic's hands for free, let alone pay them anything for it? Could the Silverbacks survive with an MLS team in the same city? Maybe, under the right circumstances. I offered up the idea of them being the MLS team's reserve affiliate. Everything is in place for this to be a cost effective manuever. But asking the Silverbacks to survive to the tune of a 5,000 average, on a shoe string budget, in D2....that's pobably asking too much with an MLS team in town as well. Plus, in order to make a profit, if it would even be possible under any circumstances, the stadium needs to be expanded there (more $$$), and they'd probably need to average more like 7,500 - 8,500 and get lucrative local sponsorships. But if you're Coca Cola in ATL, are you advertising with the D2 Silverbacks, or the MLS Atlanta Falcons FC?

Believe me, I feel for the Silverbacks faithful. But I just don't think there are many sustainable long term options for them to survive if ATL gets an MLS team, which it looks very probable. Peterson is a buffoon. He is simply Davidson's mouthpiece, spreading the delusional NASL gospel. He's always going to say whatever makes the league look good. Well, except when he can't control himself and he says things that show what an arrogant ass he is.

henryo and RutgerATL repped this.
  13. RutgerATL

RutgerATL Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to agree with Smoke. I would love to see the Backs continue even if the circus comes to town, but I don't see it as a financially prudent coarse. NPSL may still be the answer. We will know in a few years. For now it looks like both are on for next season. I am ready to give them a deposit for my ticket.

Foxinc repped this.
  14. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll see what happens. We got 2014, so I'm good for now.

Antique repped this.
  15. Gaboo

Gaboo Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Singapore
    Club:
    Fortuna Düsseldorf 1895
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Thanks a lot for that! However, I am not actually from the Philippines myself, but I have a godchild and some close friends there. Also, I support a football project for kids in Manila. Anyways fortunately, none of them has been directly affected. Thanks again!

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  16. TheLincolnKing

Dec 15, 2011
    ATL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you have that backward though, current strong attachment to MLS makes me more willing to go NASL because of the lack of potential conflict (barring the odd Open Cup game) As a recently-relocated-to-Atlanta New England Revolution fan / fan of the live game, I love the sound of this, because I would definitely be interested in getting season tix and attending NASL Silverbacks games (especially non-conflicting TV) and I plan to this year, but would never support another MLS team other than NE.

17. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First of all, welcome! And good point. Another reason, which I hadn't considered.

18. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue Member

Sep 18, 2013
    456193861631901697 is not a valid tweet id

Evan Mitz is VP of the Silverbacks.

19. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I read somwhere earlier that the Silverbacks would consider moving to the USL Pro if an Atlant Faloncons owned MLS team were to expand in Atlanta.
    So that would make a lot of sense in saying that both would help to continue the growth in soccer in Atlanta. Already with a 5K seat SSS and an orginizationalready in place.

20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That actually would make sense, I know NASL fans may not like it, but if it is that or going away, I think the choice should be move to USL.

Lancaster FC repped this.
  21. TeamSportFan

TeamSportFan New Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Personally, I do not like the name Silverbacks. Never have. Glad ATL has had a team, but never, ever liked the name. Apollos, Chiefs, Firebirds, but not the Silverbacks.

Let Blanc buy the Silverbacks, just get a better name. For all the fans that like the name, great! I just never have.

22. RundaddyFC

RundaddyFC New Member

May 15, 2014
    Holdin' it down in A-town
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For what it's worth, when I spoke to Andy Smith he said that they were already in preliminary discussions with Blank's folks about ways to work together.

Personally I think it makes a lot of sense for the Silverbacks to turn into the ATL MLS reserves and play in USL. Also I think it makes a lot of sense for Blank to have a relationship that affords him access to Silverbacks technical staff, customer database and adult leagues. (It's a poorly kept secret that the pro team -- unless something has changed -- is a money-loser on its own... but the adult leagues at Silverbacks Park are a cash cow.)

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #125 falvo, May 25, 2014
    Last edited: May 25, 2014
    I don't know the stadium but from what I've read and seen in pictures, I would also tend to believe the 5,000 seat Silverbacks Park would be a great for the Atlanta MLS to partner with a Silverbacks organization in the USL/ PDL. I really don't think the NASL Petersen wants to be in MLS towns.

[​IMG]

henryo and Alistair Fannell repped this.