Official 2013-2014: Roster Moves and Rumors

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by profiled, Nov 10, 2013.

1. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    My last thoughts on this. I still think this was a money issue trade to clear space to sign a 3rd DP.

2. Topper

Topper BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Palm, meet forehead.

The Cadaver repped this.
  3. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A hardcore "don't believe what they say!" advocate. Just keep in mind---since you are taking a position that is opposite of anything said at anytime by anyone involved in the transaction, you can't criticize anyone else's theories (however crazy) since you are all on the same footing of conjecture and whatnot.

The Cadaver repped this.
  4. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If y'all want to rehash a trade that was made a year ago, how about doing it in the appropriate threads and not mucking up the one that is for current issues revolving around our roster moves.

5. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But it is the reason now put forth by a few journalists. He of the "breaking news for the USMNT" Brian Straus included.

6. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh, what? I posted two tweets that directly support his point recently in this thread, and there are other references that I don't care to dig up at this point because why bother. Disagree, but don't chew the guy out for having a legitimate viewpoint, one which he is not alone on @73Bruin.

generaladmissision18 and 73Bruin repped this.
  7. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    It doesn’t make a great deal of sense though, trading for cap space that is, Magee had just signed a new contract in January. More importantly though if Rogers is on $160K and Mike was on $192K I just don’t see $32K being the kind of cap space clearing measure needed to cover the $350K cap hit a DP player takes.

8. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of tweets a year later about a slight difference in salary don't make the case. NO one said it was a cap move at the time, much less Bruce or anyone who actually did the deal. Sorry, "salary cap relief" does not make any sense.

I think all it says is that the trade, overall, is baffling to people and never made sense, so everyone is speculating. And I'm not chewing anyone out, just saying if you're going to take a position that has basically no support, you gotta stop using the "there's no evidence" line for other lines of speculation because it's all up in the air at that point. Either you support the Bruce Official Version (which is that it was entirely soccer related) or the Players Revision Version (that it was to get Magee back home) or you're speculating. Personally, I don't think the whole story is out. But I'm tired of hearing people say "there's absolutely no evidence the league put any pressure on the Galaxy, that's ridiculous" but then support other theories that also lack hard evidence. I don't like it when there's this double standard regarding arguments. I am sorry, Brian Strauss hitting a couple of way-after-the-fact tweets with no backup evidence does not a theory support.

The Cadaver and Topper repped this.
  9. shelbo

shelbo Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    L.A.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This ^

10. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you're basically citing the evidence I did post as hogwash because you don't agree with it. They weren't out of the way random tweets - they were in reference to someone asking him about Magee's new salary.

Both sides can argue what they want, but I didn't like how folks jumped down @73Bruin's throat.

My own personal belief is that Mike wanted to go, and I respect that.

To each his own, this is a dead argument.

11. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love the 'here's my points, but now that I am done, this is a dead argument.'

And yes, I do call unsourced, year later, twitter answers from a reporter who never wrote anything about this despite it being a pretty hot topic extremely flimsy evidence. And also looks like hindsight...no way the raise happens without Magee's huge year last year which wasn't complete (barely getting started) and was a career year topped off by the MVP. Speculating that the trade solved a salary problem that didn't exist yet.

12. JBZTV

JBZTV Member+

May 10, 2009
    At the risk of wading into another never ending Magee truthers argument...

You're comparing the wrong things. Rogers made $90k last year...the 160 number is this year. So we did get 100k cap space out of it. Which I'm guessing they wanted/needed. I'd bet they got him to take a low number last year for the space, with the big raise for this year built in. There's no way they saw what happened last year and decided to almost double his salary to keep him.

ragbone and Berks repped this.
  13. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1888 Berks, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    Um, no. I specifically wrote - to each his own. It's a dead argument because the trade is long done, thanks. You want to keep arguing with others, have at it.

14. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Robbie's salary last year was pro-rated. He was on $160K but only for part of the year (a little over 6 months). They haven't doubled his salary, they're simply paying him for an entire year instead of a partial year.

His monthly salary is $13.3k, Mike's on his $192 contract was $16 which is a difference of a $2700 per month. Now I don't profess to know how MLS works it's cap, but if it's annual the $2700 a month is $32,400. If it's monthly or partial then the cap space released by the trade would be even less.

I do forget if anything else came with the Rogers trade. If we got allocation money then it's plausible.

The Cadaver repped this.
  15. 7E23

7E23 Member+

Jul 7, 2008
    Long Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard from an inside source that the Galaxy did not want to make the trade. Garber forced us to make the deal, the story was created, and the rest is history.

napper repped this.
  16. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's actually what I was doing. ;)

Berks repped this.
  17. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On topic, however: I don't think there's really much action on this front this year, and I don't think there will be. I think the team is set, and probably should be set----I don't really see any moves needed or happening. I think it's going to be a quiet year on the transfer front until the offseason.

Berks repped this.
  18. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be clear: we still need either Landon to move back into a #10 role, or replace Juninho or Sarvas, but a deal of that kind is definitely not happening in midseason this year. Which is why I hope Samuel plays well enough that Landon can drop back and that we don't try to make Landon play on the left.

19. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    For real? This still makes the most sense to me, with the bonus that we've hopefully still got a chit to play the next time we need a favor....

20. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure he is winding us up.

21. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't we get the rights to Baggio?

22. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, Baggio's rights were part of the Pablo Mastroeni deal...

Grok repped this.
  23. Grok

Grok Member

Oct 6, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The Rogers/Magee trade was straight-up. One for one. Sad thing is I don't know anyone who thought the $90k he got paid last year was just a portion of his total salary. Everyone assumed he was getting a pro-rated part of $90k. Turns out the $90k was just the pro-rated share of his $160k salary.

If people realized at the time that he was getting basically the same salary as Magee to take selfies while Magee was winning league MVP they would have been out with torches and pitchforks. What a F@cking disgrace.

MPNumber9 repped this.
  24. JBZTV

JBZTV Member+

May 10, 2009
    Ah, gotcha.

25. 7E23

7E23 Member+

Jul 7, 2008
    Long Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. I was floored when I heard it.

Back on topic, I'm glad it's been a month since there have been Lampard to Galaxy rumors. And I agree with jmaestro, I don't think there will be anything happening this year. Unless Omar has a stellar World Cup and we can sell him high. But that still begs the question what do we need and who do we get to fill that need.