Will Landon Donovan be first choice in Brazil?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by DIMITAR BERBATOV!, Apr 16, 2014.

1. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simple enough question. Is the Zusi flirtation legit or is JK just trying to motivate his big game player?

If I were the man at the controls, I'd ride with #10. Too talented to leave on the pine if he's anywhere near 100%. And he's one of the only guys on the roster who has proven that he can rise to meet the occasion.

The Brazil goal in the Confed Cup. The Slovenia goal. Nails on PKs. I don't think you can bench that.

But that's just my opinion. What do you think Jurgen will do when push comes to shove?

2. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Mexico match did prove something to me, Klinsmann seems to not care if you're a star, as long as you aren't part of the "spine" (or so he calls it), if you don't perform in training, you're riding the bench.

3. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is one of the guys who consistently changes the scoreboard with passes and goals of his own. If he is fit, he is my first choice. People are worried about his conditioning but that won't take long to recover.

4. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    That was a while ago. So far he has looked pretty decent but not as good as back then.

Excellency repped this.
  5. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys are being played ahead Donovan because Klinsi thinks they give us the best chance to win, not to teach Donovan a lesson.

6. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    JK was going to play him at striker in the Mexico match. Imo that's the best position for him going into the Cup. The issues are his knee and conditioning.

8. mthead14

mthead14 Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  9. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #9 Berks, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    Original poster - there is a poll in n&a about the starting 11, over 90% put him in the 11 last I looked over there.

Edit-now 88%

10. TheyCallMeBruce

TheyCallMeBruce Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    It's pretty clear that Klinsmann wants Donovan to kneel before him, and LD is doing it. This is all about ego for Jurgen, who has carte blanche to manage like an asshole because they already gave him his extension.

11. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think he will start one game -- hard to see him in the games where we won't have much of the ball.

I applaud Klinsmann for this, work/form should get you into the starting eleven. Landon has a month or so to prove it. Every good professional (athletic or not), needs a good push now and then.

12. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But that's what fans would do, not Jurgen. I would start Landon but that's a different question than will Jurgen start him.

If Landon doesn't start playing better I could definitely see Jurgen putting him on the bench, whether 88% of BS agrees or not.

13. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, not expecting JK reads BS. Original poster responded with his vote if he was at the controls as well, so just pointing out the overall forum vote here. We have these threads on individual players - Gonzo, Altidore, Clint, LD, etc...but all 4 are still starters at least according to the vote in N&A from forum participants. Just interesting.

14. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I think Landon being philosophical and thoughtful in his interviews drives JK mad. LD is cycling/saving himself for every 4th day or 7th day. JK wants it all each day to 'prove it.' Sorry, I don't think he needs to 'prove' anything.

Zusi, Wondo, Eddie Johnson, they are not better players than Donovan. Based on his history and even how he has managed to rally himself for Galaxy games, he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Donovan is the anti-Klinsmann. The communitarian vs. the individualist.

I don't think JK even likes him, on a philosophical basis. So I wouldn't be surprised if he rides the bench. Matter of fact, with JK now 100% safe in his $10+ million gig, I wouldn't be that surprised if he left him at home.

16. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there's such a long history between these two. I'd really love to read a book (either from LD or JK) that discusses Landon's time at Bayern.

cleansheetbsc repped this.
  17. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does LD start? NOBODY knows. My take is JK is playing games with the competition (Ghana, Germany & Portugal).

JK knows what LD can do... why play him in friendlies. Keep Ghana, Germany & Portugal coaches guessing so they don't know who they need to prepare against.

18. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Posters are looking at reality; Jurgen is looking at $12million in his bank account over the 2014/2018 cycle. That's two distinct criteria when it comes to team selection.

He would love to have Landon Donovan fail for him in Brazil. You would too if you were in Klnsi's place. It's just easy as pie. A no-brainer.

Sunil made a bad decision when he extended Klnsmann's contract. Solskjaer may well be available if Cardiff go down. He would have been a great hire.

19. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I may be missing something pretty massive here, so please, correct me if I'm wrong -- but I don't know why everyone is on the conspiracy theory about JK sitting Landon. There are plenty of threads about sitting Dempsey and Jermaine Jones and Altidore and whoever else isn't in form -- why would he treat Landon any differently?

For me a current out-of-form Donovan is not a better option than in-form others (not saying anyone is in-form at the moment), so I could see why he was doing it. And does anyone actually think JK won't bring him to Brazil?

20. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Donovan's knee is F'd with tendonitis then there's basis to bring him off the bench. However, let's be honest, him and Klinsmann are not getting along. I'm not sure what it is, if it stems from his sabbatical/time off in Cambodia or what. There is something up between them. I think this is Donovan's last World Cup. Dempsey is alive again but during the slump he gave Dempsey more leeway. Which isn't surprising, he picked Dempsey as captain but I saw a double standard.

21. Sifrit

Sifrit Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Why would $12 million in his bank account lead to Klinsmann deliberately fielding a bad team? Every coach selects the team that he believes will give him the best chance to win. Of course, those choices may turn out to be stupid in hindsight. But you are assuming that Klinsmann knows that Donovan is his best player and doesn't play him anyway. Do you honestly think that Klinsmann wants to lose games? Why would he? His reputation as a coach is on the line and no one likes to lose.

22. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    What do u mean by "win"? Do u mean keeping his job? Seriously, I'm not sure. What would you do, take a risk and lose ur job or do what is safe and keep it? What does ur wife say?

You dont seriously think that anybody will criticize Klinsi if he starts Jozy, Dempsey and Donovan, do you? Of course not. And that is what he will do.

23. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Donovan "not at 100%" is better than any of the other options (aside from Fabian Johnson, but he should be filling the gaping hole at left back)... if Brad freaking Davis plays a single minute at the World Cup (or even makes the roster) I will hurt someone.

Berks repped this.
  24. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea what this statement is about.

25. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Thanks for sharing your ignorance.