Tea Light in the Dark Universe: Bobby Wood at Hamburg

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by LoewenBoy, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    How did the #6 for Ingolstadt Alfredo Morales play?

2. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    I was too busy wacthing the crap going on to notice. Still trying to figure out why you play a 4-4-2 double six in this day and age. It's like charging your cavalry brigade into machine gun fire in WWI....an outdated tactic for the modern era.

The whole game was ugly. I don't recall seeing much of what I would call football coming from either team.

3. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In his sub appearance I thought Bobby looked lively and dynamic. With the training camp story and injuries etc I was surprised to see him come on, but he at least offers something different (i.e. he actually looks like an athlete).

4. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Bobby seems to be starting on the bench for tomorrow. Line-up and discussion here.

I would prefer to see Adlung or Wood on the wing, Ludwig in the central midfield and Steinhoefer at LB. But hey, let's see what happens.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  5. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wood stayed on the bench. The game was a 2-2

LoewenBoy and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  6. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone have an update on Mr. Bobby Wood?

7. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's been making the bench but not playing recently.

8. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Which is where he will stay under Funkel. The coach seems to think he has the right starting formation despite the recent results.

9. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    1-2 in Cottbus and Bobby Wood is in the building...er, going on the pitch. ;)

EDIT: Went in for Osako.

Tom Collingsworth and ckl26 repped this.
  10. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bobby played the last 20+ minutes against league leaders Cologne - his longest run in a while. Looks like a good athlete with some decent skill on the ball. Maybe we'll see a bit more of him going forward?

USAMEX10 repped this.
  11. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Him and Gyau should come to MLS...

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  12. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Wood was doing very well for TSV a bit of time ago, however, he has a new coach now that doesn't really favor youth. I think a switch to another BL 2. squad would be better then going to the MLS. Gyau however is playing two levels down from Wood so it's very different. I'd think Gyau would try his hand (again) at a BL 2. squad after this season - if that doesn't work out then maybe the MLS.

panicfc repped this.
  13. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the matchday live commentary:
    The TV commentator viewed Bobby coming into the game as a sign that Funkel (the coach) is fed up with the impotence of Benny Lauth (veteran CF who was relegated to the bench after the winter break). In terms of pecking order this may mean more minutes for Bobby on the wing if he does well in his chances as a sub.

USAMEX10 repped this.
  14. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Bobby is getting more and more time again. Since Funkel has not been resigned, and I don't think he will be given our current form, I expect Bobby to get more time soon.

Going to MLS will get him more playing time but he won't develop any further. Staying at 1860 or moving to another team is in his best interest.

ckl26 repped this.
  15. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Funkel to leave at the end of the season. Contract not being extended. New coach and new sporting director will be hired this spring.

I think this is a good thing for Bobby. He was not getting much time until recently under Funkel. A new coach might change that. Also, there is a chance that Osako may exercise a clause to leave if an offer is made. No word on the exact clause wording, but it is rumored that if a club pays a certain fee Osako can leave.

http://www.abendzeitung-muenchen.de...ich.b2040fd2-770a-4d7b-af0a-307e3e98bb74.html

16. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Not much on the Bobby front lately. The latest club update is here.

I think if 1860 got Schneider or Stani that it would be good for Wood. We shall see what happens.

Osako seems to have picked up the interest of BVB again, so Bobby might be all alone up front come summer.

17. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Hopefully he makes the most of his chances.. and becomes consistent. I still remember that bullet he scored from long range last season I think. What a shot

LoewenBoy repped this.
  18. icebreaker

icebreaker Member+

Mar 22, 2011
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Hum. I'm frankly not so sure if Bobby is really consistent second division quality, no matter the coach. 1860 has an excellent record with bringing through young players, but even they don't have a 100 percent success rate.

19. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    All true. However, he has not gotten the same consistent playing time as other players. If he were to get that I think we would see just where we stand with him.

20. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Since 1860 utterly failed this season the club plans a cut with almost half of the players leaving and new players coming in. Today the press has lists(dont know if they made them up themselves or not but they sound reasonable) with Bobby under either a, "must-go" or b, "must-tremble". Despite contract until 2016.

21. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    It is made up by the newspapers. The club has said they will wait for a new coach before making key decisions like this.

22. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Bobby hanging out with Jimmy Conrad (5:00)

23. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bobby on at half-time vs Arminia Bielefeld.

24. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1860 wins 2-1. Bobby plays the 2nd half at CF while Yuya Osako drops back to AM.
    Wouldn't be surprised to see Bobby start the next game as he showed some good movement and hard work - he made a great play tracking back, stripping an Arminia player of the ball and launching a counterattack which resulted in a yellow card for the opposition. The resulting FK led to a CK, off which 1860 subsequently scored.

Bobby also had a terrific chance in the last 5 minutes but blasted his volley over the bar.

Tom Collingsworth, (TxT) and LoewenBoy repped this.
  25. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah that was a big chance. Wood is getting a lot playing time under von Ahlen. It's clearly not like some people saying he didnt get equal opportunities. To me, it seems like 1860 is putting him into to the shopping window. Despite a contract until 2016 I think they would let him go without a transfer fee.