Yanks Abroad: Flavors of the Week 2013-2014(R)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by bmo180, Jan 15, 2014.

1. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a great goal, Seitz, the goalkeeper needs to make sure he picks the ball up visually, earlier. Not sure what he was thinking.

Tom Collingsworth and SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  2. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    [​IMG]

Macmath, Nguyen, Powers, Amarikwa on the bench

and from goal.com:

[​IMG]

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  3. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno I need to watch Farrell more.

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I can answer that. Farrell defends a hell of a lot better than Yedlin, but isn't the attacking force that DeAndre can be.

Farrell is a centerback playing right back.....................................

5. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Probably Farrell, but I don't think the Sounders system is doing Yedlin any favors. Castillo pretty clearly had his way with him the first half, but it was something in the second half that really caught my eye. Yedlin had the ball and was moving from the middle third to the attacking third. Castillo tracked back and Benitez came out to meet him. I though hmm, ok, Castillo is playing some D. Next time it happened, same thing. Castillo tracked back, Benitez came out to defend. I rewatched the game on Sunday, and noticed that Yedlin didn't get a single ounce of help from his midfielders. He absolutely needs to do better than he did, but stopping someone like Fabian Castillo by yourself is a difficult one. Castillo is arguably the best 1v1 winger in the league (his problems come with the final service) so why not help the kid out. Seems like the Sounders need to recognize that and get him some help on the outside.

Long story short: probably Farrell.

Dirt McGirt and MadRHatter repped this.
  6. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Dillon Serna is really good. His problems right now are due to his size/lack of athleticism, but once he matures he should be a really good player.

USAMEX10 and SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  7. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  8. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Or maybe you just missed something.

The season ending ratings are largely predictive of major award winning candidates and National Team selections. They largely agree with various journos ratings.

9. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In terms of which player I would invest time in developing and preparing for the next level, I take the gifted attacker over the stay-at-home defender every time. Yedlin has already improved significantly in defense. Farrell will never be the attacker Yedlin is.

10. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm not seeing that. Not sure why size suddenly became an issue for a footballer, not to mention he plays wing. As far as athleticism is concerned, he sure looks athletic to me in the short spurts we have seen so far.

He is the same size as Yedlin who is a defender all star in MLS. Dillon played with Yedlin at Akron and had more assists, is 6 mnths younger than Yedlin. My guess is that Dillon beats Yedlin for pace, not that it matters since both have sufficient pace

Obviously he needs minutes pt like everybody. He played 13 mins for Rapids last year. I think he has about 160 so far this year.

11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Gifted but flawed attacking defenders(e.g., David Luiz) are frequently moved upfield unless the team is playing a very high line(e.g., Barcelona with Alves and Mascherano).

The US doesn't play like Barca and so should stick to defenders who can defend. Alves even during his pomp wasn't a lock starter with Brasil. Chandler had to ride pine for a few games as the coach wanted to emphasize the need to defend better.

12. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Judging based almost entirely on last year's performances there is little to pick and choose between Yedlin and Farrell defensively. Everyone hyped DeAndre's attacking skills because of his flashy hair and that early goal but that was consistently blown out of proportion by lazy observers. Not until the end of the season, when Seattle was pressing for goals, did Yedlin play as the wingback of posters' florid imaginations. For most of the season he was a shut down corner who kept the opposing fullback honest with the threat of his pace on the counter or on overlaps. Farrell looked more comfortable with the ball at his feet, he has a bit of a burst and obvious strength but not the same top end that allows him to run down just about any attacker. He obviously looks more comfortable covering centrally tactically.

1v1 Wide = Push
    Covering Counters = DY
    Covering for CBs = AF

13. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Great. So at the end of the season at least we'll know how the major award winning candidates will be... Doesn't tell us anything about actual match performance.
    Because generally the best players are the ones that score the highest percentage of successful passes & tackles, and score the most goals/assists...

People are all over Whoscored so I thought 'let's check it out, pretty cool, they're rating everyone in MLS', but then after a couple of rounds I notice poorly performing players get high ratings and honorable mentions. So to me the system seems simplistic, very unreliable and therefor useless...
    I didn't miss the 2 goals and 2 huge chances he gave up by making huge defensive mistakes.
    The same goes for Farrell a couple of rounds ago, and Frei in the first round. Paparatto vs Seattle. And then Frei was apparently awful against Portland when he hardly didn't do anything wrong on any of Portland's goals. Etc.

He's not the same size as Yedlin.
    I think what was being pointed out is that he is still very light-weight (height+weight:muscle), he needs to gain some strength. And I agree with that observation. Nonetheless I think he's a very talented player. I'm not really sure if he's really a winger though.

deuteronomy repped this.
  14. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    There's just a gross and willful misunderstanding of the possibilities and limitations of statistics which results in these ridiculous strawman arguments.

Yedlin is an inconsistent defender; we all know that. He made big plays and he gave up big plays, so over the aggregate of the match he gets a solid score. The score and limited stats don't present the entire picture of what transpired in the match. Again we all know that. It helps to have actually watched the match, so that one can have something useful to add other than complaints about stuff that everyone already acknowledges.

So at the end of the season Yedlin will have a high rating and Farrell will have a high rating. Of course one will have actually had to watch some of the games to have a better idea of the strengths and limitations of the players; one is a better fit for a high line, the other is a better defender.

Stats are a useful discovery tool. No one is claiming they provide the complete picture. But we all know that.

MadRHatter repped this.
  15. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    I'm not arguing against the use of stats. I'm arguing against the use of Whoscored. (Strawman on your behalf)
    I'm not claiming stats are supposed to provide 'the complete picture'. (Strawman on your behalf) I'm arguing Whoscored is not good (enough) at doing what it claims to be capable of doing. Therefor there's no point in using it.

Just read what you're saying: 'whoscored is useful' -> 'it rates performances' -> 'yedlin made big plays and gave up big plays' -> 'the system rates yedlin's performance was solid' -> 'the rating does not represent the entire match' -> 'we've discovered Yedlin is a solidly performing player'

Solid? If Yedlin gave up big plays then how was his performance solid?
    (I'm using your example of Yedlin here; I don't know if he actually made/gave up big plays)

And if the rating does not represent the entire match then what is it representing?

What are we discovering exactly? The point of the Whoscored system is to determine a player's level of performance in a specific game and over a period of time. If the system cannot make an accurate and trustworthy assessment then how does it serve a purpose?

16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    This is a completely worthless exchange. Let's agree to disagree and move on.

17. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Like so?

:thumbsup:

18. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yedlin is good and has a bright future..off the charts hustle and athleticism... which americans eat up. plus, he's flashy so he's really easy to get hyped about ...especially for observers who don't pay too close attention.
    still, i think farrell is marginally better on both sides of the ball.

19. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Farrell is good with the ball at his feet. I think that is being overlooked.

I will say that Yedlin is usually much more involved in the overall play of Seattle than Farrelll with Revolutions. too many factors too nanalyze why.

20. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Fagundez plays on the left, and NE don't have a force like Alonso in the deep midfield.

22. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    This is a tangent, but I wish that someone would figure out a way to get Fagundez's citizenship sorted. He's better than Nagbe is.

Berks and COMtnGuy repped this.
  23. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like powers but he really shines a la MB90, a box2box type with some great attacking passes. As a "10", he is subpar for what you want (quickness and technical- dribbling ability) and when his passing is off, it's really off however he always defends at 100% regardless.

24. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Fagundez is a true flanker. I see Nagbe at international level as a cm in 3-man center midfield or as a pinched in wide mid.

25. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris Klute has returned to training with the Rapids after injuring his hamstring early in the season,

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...ng-colorado-rapids-likely-wont-see-action-aga

It might be a couple of weeks before we see him on the field.

I’m 100 percent right now,” Klute told MLSsoccer.com after practice on Tuesday. “I’m not match fit, so I probably won’t get in the lineup for a couple more weeks, but I’ve been practicing at 100 percent.

Klute, 24, strained his hamstring during the second half of the Rapids’ season-opening 1-1 draw with the New York Red Bulls on March 15. He started 30 games for the Rapids in his first full MLS season a year ago, earning his first US men’s national team call-up in January. The speedy 6-foot-1 left back has been mentioned as a potential left back of the future on the national team.

As for his short-term status, it doesn’t look like he’ll be playing Saturday against the San Jose Earthquakes at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park (6 pm ET; MLS Live), but he’s likely to return in the next few weeks once he reaches full match fitness.
    “I think he’s joining us this week and we’re excited to have him back,” Rapids head coach Pablo Mastroeni said. “And we’ll see how he continues on this week and make that decision later on in the week how we’ll go. But a guy coming off an injury, the last thing that I want to do is throw him back into the lion’s den.

"We’ll bring him along slowly, and we’re excited to have another quality player back on the roster.”