Bronx close to scoring $400M soccer stadium for NYCFC

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by carnifex2005, Dec 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    It doesn't require a bridge for many New Yorkers to get to Yankee Stadium.

Harrison (or any part of NJ) is the bridge too far.

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    joehooligan0303 repped this.
  3. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    I think the Bronx should (and just might) get closer to scoring a $400M (or more) soccer stadium for NYCFC.

4. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006

....am not sure if you are disgusted or envious?

Got a light?

JasonMa, joehooligan0303 and tab5g repped this.
  5. joehooligan0303

joehooligan0303 Member+

Dec 16, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did just post some vintage stadium pron...so you never know what could happen.

6. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NFL is doing fine without LA. or NYC. or Dallas. or Washington DC. or Boston....

harrylee773 repped this.
  7. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    it doesn't require a bridge for most new yorkers to get to harrison.

harrylee773 and Zoidberg repped this.
  8. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    State or city New Yorkers?

If they're traveling from NYC then a bridge and/or tunnel (or a very roundabout route) is required to get to Harrison, right?

9. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Nope. Beam me up Scoti.

10. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    I suppose helicopter or ferry would be options in some way.

11. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    ah, but you said bridge, my friend. :ROFLMAO:
    and anyway the bronx is not contiguous to any other borough (well, manhattan, but that's a little known technicality).
    and the more you're into brooklyn/queens, the more you're into mets territory and fewer of those new yorkers make the trek up to the bronx. which is why the bronx wasn't considered the ideal spot for ny2 when the story began.

harrylee773 repped this.
  12. Mr. Vero

Mr. Vero Member

Apr 10, 2014
    Mass transit (NJ Path Train) is a great option to get to Red Bull Arena and NJ, in general.

Conversely, if you drive from Manhattan/Brooklyn/Queens to the Bronx, you will likely need to cross over a bridge to head over to Yankee Stadium.

This idea that people "will not cross either a bridge or the Hudson River" is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. People travel every day from NJ to NY and vice versa. The "it's too far" is a B.S. excuse for anyone who knows the tri-state region well.

I'm tired of hearing this excuse that Red Bulls aren't more supported because it's in New Jersey. MetLife Stadium and Giants Stadium is/was packed with NFL fans (many of which..gasp... came from New York!)

And I'm tired of hearing that the reason NYCFC will be a "success" is because of a stadium within the five boroughs.
    NY Cosmos (in the glory days) had near sell-outs in cavernous Giants Stadium (in ...gasp... New Jersey!) at a time when soccer was no where near as popular as it is today.

The location of the stadium is not the sole or even most important determinant in a team's success. Fans didn't mind flocking to NJ to see USA v. Brazil or Mexico vs. USA Gold Cup 2009 Final.

Plus, the real issue with MLS is no longer stadium attendance (3rd best overall behind NFL and MLB) but really has to do with TV ratings.

The REAL reasons why Red Bulls (and most likely NYCFC at this rate) are not more supported have very little to do with stadium location and more to do with a WIDE ARRAY OF OTHER ISSUES.

13. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Yes, I wrote bridge in playing off the preceding post's question of a bridge too far.

14. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    The one thing that makes me hopeful they might actually get a stadium built without hugely undue delays is the fact that the Yankees will absolutely loathe sharing their stadium with a soccer team.

And since the Yankees are part owners of the soccer team, there will be an identity of interest between the soccer team and the baseball team to make certain this thing gets done.

15. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have seen something along the lines of "MLS took the money and didn't think this through" or a version of that. I don't care if NYC2 plays at Yankees stadium or in their 700 billion dollar stadium. It's not my money. I didn't loose hundreds of millions of dollars underwriting a sports league. If the owners wanted to grab 100 mill back by letting in a NYC team without a sure thing stadium deal then good for them.

16. T.M. Anthony

T.M. Anthony Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Hudson Valley
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    um... repped.o_O

wow, its like you were saying a lot of things on my mind. Honestly the issue of convenience of travel for new yorkers is relative, if all holds and they do wind up getting their stadium in the bronx, its about as easy to get to as RBA from some locations.

The "IN the 5 boroughs" thing isn't a universally valued issue separating this new team from being more of a success than RBNY. Theres more to it than that, mostly having to do with the place of soccer in the market itself.

I've read comments from cosmos posters who think they are NYC's "True Team". In reality thats Man U, or Barca or any popular name with a famous player or two across the pond.

Domestic soccer in a market of so many other more established teams is still gonna be on the back burner of general public consciousness until a good amount of time passes and their place is allowed to develop. It took the BEST player in the world to give the com so any other kind of result.

as time has gone on the Red Bulls have developed a good core of fans both causal and hardcore, in spite of the name thing and location thing. Odds are the same will happen for NYCFC, and that both teams are on thin ice as to how successful they are depending how well they are run.

location barely has to do with it, I mean Public transit access is vital and all, but its not like playing just as far as some other location in the city in any given direction is gonna do a team in if thats not IN NYC.

but then thats the standard and appeal they've set, the still developing core of Blue guys fans likes the notion of a team IN the 5 boroughs regardless if it matters to EVERYBODY or not, and thats why they have to follow suit with playing at YS.

Mr. Vero and harrylee773 repped this.
  17. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I have to be really honest here. I don't think those of us who have been supporting MLS since the early days -- even before 1996 -- would ever, in a million years, make this sort of argument.

It's not "our money" so why should we care? Because it's our league, and we don't have the luxury of seeing people make stupid decisions that put it in peril. Maybe that's an old timer, MLS 1.0 kind of view, but those of us who are old timers from the MLS 1.0 days will probably never feel that we have the luxury -- and it is a luxury -- of taking this league for granted. That's why we, probably more than anyone, are sensitive -- even a little paranoid -- about some of the risks the league is taking these days.

Those of you who weren't around then, and maybe weren't even born then ... maybe you guys just don't get it and never will. The idea that MLS might do something foolish and then wither away is an anxiety that all soccer fans of my generation have, and probably will have forever. No, it's not our money. But it's our damn league, and we waited a long, long time to have it. If the owners do something stupid, that most certainly is our business. And don't ever tell me it isn't.

(I'm not saying NYCFC's plans are stupid. I'm just saying these damn kids should get off my lawn.)

pichichi2010, stanleyt, Len and 2 others repped this.
  18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry @Knave, I was here for MLS 1.0 and this NYCFC move doesn't make me fear for the league. It may be a mistake but I don't worry its going to take the league down with it.

AndyMead and When Saturday Comes repped this.
  19. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is NYC. Is there anyone with the power to fight through the thicket of red tape and NIMBYism there and "make certain this thing gets done"? Maybe if Robert Moses were still alive, but his method would probably involve throwing people out of their homes.

terrier and fuzzx repped this.
  20. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    First, you're insufficiently paranoid. Second, I'm not worried too much about NYCFC. But it adds to my consternation about some of the other things going on these days.

At any rate, I'm just objecting to the idea that we don't have standing to be concerned with what's happening in NY and in other places around the league. That's just utter crap.

joehooligan0303 and JasonMa repped this.
  21. Mr. Vero

Mr. Vero Member

Apr 10, 2014
    Wow! People like me do exist. It's been hard to find anybody with some common sense on this forum. Some of these people are so hell-bent on a five borough stadium, it's ridiculous. I agree with what you said completely.

What these five borough obsessed people deserve is for the stadium to be built on Staten Island. How's that for convenience?

Head on over to the Yankee Stadium for NYCFC thread. I wrote a whole bunch about why a stadium within NYC is not really politically feasible.

As for concerns over the league, there should very well be. The biggest obstacle to MLS is MLS, at this point. NYCFC is part of it - but it's not all.

harrylee773 repped this.
  22. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    To continue my streak of unrestrained optimism, what if 3 years at Yankee stadium is the best thing to ever happen to New York?

With a massive advertising campaign that we are just starting to see, as well as good moves at the FO level and Kreis observing in Manchester, this team is already primed for success. Add on to that playing in one of the most recognizable facilities in the world with (seemingly) the full support of a large media organization.

This could be the biggest success in the history of MLS.

:thumbsup:

23. T.M. Anthony

T.M. Anthony Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Hudson Valley
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, they're hell bent on a stadium in the 5 boroughs because thats been the ENTIRE point of the franchise.

Literally, thats the point. be a top tier team IN NYC rather than being ANYWHERE outside of it. Also, don't be a brand name like red bull, which for some they STILL fail at ( both Man City and this team has "city" in them

this is the concession they've made or rather its a product of their principle value. its better to play in a baseball stadium in the bronx than a soccer stadium in NJ because at least the baseball stadium is IN THE CITY.

they also DO have a realistic shot at getting their permanent home in the bronx, its just gonna take a while If it gets done. there can't be any compromises with that IN THE CITY mantra though in the meantime seeing as how thats the only basis for the teams existence.

24. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I too am optimistic that things will work out, Kreis's "RSL-way" and ManCity's "way" don't exactly mesh with a ultra-narrow pitch with a baseball infield. I guess NYCFC will look forward to away games to play "their" style.

25. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    the one thing that makes me nervous about the long term commitment of the yankees as minority owners of this franchise is if it turns out to be really hard to build a stadium.