Scouting Report Portugal

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by m vann, Dec 6, 2013.

1. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But what a fun ride to liver failure it would be! Hey, if Ted Williams can get a liver replacement, you should be able to get one too. If I'm a tissue match, and we get out of the group, maybe I'll give you some of mine......

I lied.

6 ft. Leprechaun repped this.
  2. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    the way you guys talk about CR7...that you forget there are players

even if CR7 is contained :whistling:

players like Pereira love to overlap and find space as does Coentrao. Not to mention William Carvalho is Portugal's next superstar that has Claude Makelele written all over him.

Thats like talking about Brazil being just Neymar or Agrentina being just Messi focus on one player at your own peril if the US play like they did in Ukraine then goodluck esp considering the two best US players are past their best Donovan and Dempsey the only US player that I can see starting for Portugal is no doubt Howard

3. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    William isn't guaranteed to start, and I doubt Portugal will start two DMs (William and Fernando) agaisnt USA. Containing Cristiano should be the game plan. If Joao pereira or fabio Coentrao are the difference then fine. But if they just attacked, especially Joao Pereira with Quaresma in front of him, Donovan and Fabian can and will exploit that.

Portugal is more than CR7, but USA is no pushover.

And Bradley starts over Merieles or Veloso in your hypothetical argument. And possibly Fabian Johnson over Joao pereira.

4. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  5. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. CR7 is now almost 30, and we learned from Figo back in 2002 that the grueling Champions League schedule for Real Madrid does take a toll on players. Ronaldo is a massive talent, but it does help that we will probably be facing him at 70%-90% instead of him being at 100%.

WrmBrnr repped this.
  6. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best case scenario, Real and Bayern make the final, giving as many of our opponents as grueling a schedule and as little time to switch gears to international play as possible

7. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Ronaldo out of key Real Madrid match with knee injury
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/26889349

8. USA All DAY

USA All DAY Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bedoya is starting for Nantes against Monaco today. It will be interesting to see how he does vs Joao moutinho and Ricardo carvalho both of which will be opponents at the world up.

9. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Carvalho won't go. He was permanently expelled from the NT.

10. USA All DAY

USA All DAY Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh my apologies. What happened with him? Still it will be interesting with moutinho.

11. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Back in 2011, he supposedly abandoned a training session without permission and he was never called up since. The probable cause was that he was angry for not being a starter in the following match. To be honest, Carvalho was never very clever regarding this kind of situations. Otherwise, he would definitely go to the WC.

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Moutinho is nothing special. Just got carded for lacking the speed to control his mark (Gakpe, whose shirt he's been pulling time and again).

13. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    lol

14. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Patellar tendinitis can be lingering. Rest is often the only solution.

Lets hope Ronaldo requires a long rest and comes back 100 %....sometime after the third week of June.

15. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad that Real Madrid are going to play CR7, and that he has a World Cup to attend. He's not going to get any rest.

As I said before, we will be facing Ronaldo at 70-90%. This is not a bad thing.

16. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Ronaldo to miss Copa del Rey final against Barcelona with injury
    http://www.theguardian.com/football...ldo-injury-copa-del-rey-real-madrid-barcelona

17. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Good that they aren't pushing him through this injury, its a 14/15 day recovery and they haven't forced him to play earlier so far.

18. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ever injure a hamstring?

Sure he can play in 2 weeks, but it's going to be niggling at him for months. CR7 will be in the World Cup, but he won't be 100% for 90 minutes.

19. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Lol, whatever helps you guys sleep at night.

20. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2002 helps us sleep at night. Entendes?

21. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Oh I do and don't doubt it. I see it brought up practically every day on these boards so I do not doubt that in the slightest.

LGRod repped this.
  22. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    yes I have, and 2 weeks was enough for it to dissipate as it wasn't too serious, so long as I warmed up properly and stretched more than usual for the first few games after.

Factor in Ronaldo having access to a hyperbaric chamber, and world class medical teams...he should be ok.

23. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not homering for the US, but rather I am looking at injuries to other countries players with the same constructive pessimism I use when looking at the USMNT. If Zusi, for example, had a similar hamstring injury, I would be saying the same thing about him.

That said, part of me would rather have Ronaldo fully fit. Bring it.

24. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    everyone on this board seems to talk about Ronaldo lol that they forget players like Quaresma are gonna run riot

25. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's understandable, no? He stomped Sweden and Zlatan all by himself. He is the best footballer on the planet. It doesn't matter if he is playing with San Marino. A team with CRon can beat anyone. A team without is potentially beatable. Quaresma, Moutinho, Mireilles, it doesn't matter. Without CRon they're a good side, and would be tough to get any sort of result, but not impossible. With CRon, it would be an outstanding result if we get a point, and a good result if we only lose by 1.