John Doyle Death Watch and Post Mortem

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by KMJvet, Apr 5, 2010.

1. blueballs69

blueballs69 Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    My sources said Kaval has not been happy with Doyle for sometime but he has something on ownership to keep extending him and no one understands how and why.

markmcf8 repped this.
  2. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you saying that he made that much, or that was Mustang's gross income? I seriously doubt he was paid anything remotely near that amount.

alexiskool1991 repped this.
  3. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, if that's the case, there are a lot of MLS coaches that are in the wrong jobs.

4. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    [​IMG]

I'm feelin the beat of this conversation...

5. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Doyle income was a rumor that I found here -- http://www.norcalsoccer.com/ICT/index.php -- a website I don't remember seeing before today so I don't know anything about the people who post there or their credibility.

Mustang is a 501(c)(3) and they can't pay hedge fund salaries. Especially not to a board member. But JD works through his LLC, so those numbers are private. But really, whether it's $100k or $1mm -- that's not important. What's important is that he's got a big distraction from the job that we all think should be his top priority.

6. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Kaval is his boss, you'd think he wouldn't get an extension if that was the case.
    2. What could he possibly "have on" Wolff/Fisher? I'm not buying that without more evidence...

7. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    1. I asked about this specifically, and my understanding is that Kaval and Doyle are on separate tracks and that both report to the owners rather than to each other.
    2. According to the rumors I heard, JD's inside info pertains to league execs, not to team owners.

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    About 10 years ago, a friend of mine spoke to Doyle's wife Karin and she told him his job with the Mustangs didn't command too much of his time. That was a decade ago however, I'm sure things have changed. One thing I believe though, is somehow the Quakes benefit by Doyle being involved with the Mustangs and vice versa. Otherwise, they probably wouldn't let him moonlight....

9. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Amazing how when the Quakes go through a bad spell, Doyle starts spending inordinate amounts of time with Mustang Soccer, and raking in the cash to boot!

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Whether its a few hundred k or a million, he gets paid pretty darn well I'd say. Especially, considering the low salaries of American soccer players, coaches and/or administrators.

11. blurryblue

blurryblue Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Those are insults and always funny ... what's annoying is the constantly skied shots themselves.

alexiskool1991 and SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  12. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If shots don't regularly go high over the bar, then no one will make fun of balls going high over the bar.

Of course, if we are to mix it up a bit, there is always the ever-familiar "It must have been Ramiro" chant for such occasions.

SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  13. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How?

14. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    John vouches for Dave, Dave vouches for John. They basically keep eachothers jobs safe - don't rock the boat and all that.

15. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You just explained the "What" again and I was asking for the "How...",

I guess I mean an example of John doing anything for Dave that would make someone think it would be smart to keep Dave around...

16. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I expect the three guys -- Dave, John, and Mark -- try to stay out of each other's way as much as possible. It's a tough balance, and when it works, great, but with this particular trio, it probably never has.

17. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact that they're both still around is a pretty good indication, the fact that they never say anything critical of one another, that there are untimely extensions in contracts. Of course I don't have an example, I'm not behind closed doors. I assume both are accountable only to the ownership above them. Doyle rides our small club "success" and Kaval rides the new stadium/rebrand/sponsorship/tech stuff. Neither knows much about the other's position, but if asked by the ownership what the other's performance is like, they'll both vouch for eachother because it means keeping their own job safe.

Imagine a President that demanded more out of the team or knew anything about soccer. You think Doyle would still be around after all this?

Imagine a GM that lived and breathed the club (rather than having other jobs/interests on the side), demanded quality and didn't view this as a "small club." Do you think Kaval would be as comfortable?

It's in Dave's best interest to keep John around, and vice versa.

Beerking and DotMPP repped this.
  18. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I agree. The "how" is omission, not commission. The club is in a delicate state as it is -- a wobbly three-legged stool. No one wants to see it collapse. Privately they each might have a lot to whine about, but their stance to the owners is: great!

19. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Serious question: How bad do we have to be until Doyle gets the can?

20. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, I think a failed first season in the new stadium gets him on the hot seat. A failed second season gets him the axe. That's assuming we continue to stink this year. So to answer your question, the Quakes would need to miss the playoffs for 4 straight years...lol.

21. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A delicate state? A wobbly three legged stool? Have you been to down to Coleman Ave. lately? You notice that big chunk of steel going up? The club has never been in such good shape. Don't be such a drama queen.

alexiskool1991 repped this.
  22. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Oh, come on, you love my metaphors. Besides, being called a drama queen is a compliment.

The stadium is the stadium, a thing, and we're talking about interpersonal relationships, which are infinitely more intriguing. Or maybe we're just envious of JD and his two full-time jobs.

23. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, yes, I know of your thespian pursuits.;)

And what power does Doyle have over MLS execs? Why does an image of Garber and a goat and Doyle and a camera come to mind?

markmcf8 repped this.
  24. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I think Kaval has, a couple of times now, under-estimated how difficult it is to win in this league. There was the 2011 embarrassment, punctuated by the Edmondo Zura signing, then the improbably incredible success of 2012. They thought they had it figured out at that point, and "stood pat" in 2013. Wrong answer. Then the upheaval midseason, new coach, some new acquisitions, and some very positive results last half of last season. Again, drunk with success. Thought they had it figured out. Meanwhile, competitor teams are getting better. Even Chivas USA!

I think you can build a consistent winner with a smaller budget, if that's what they choose to do. There are some solid examples in the league (KC, RSL to name a few). But you have to be real smart and real competent to do it. Kaval may realize this by now, but it's not easy to find the MLS equivalent to Billy Beane.

QuietType repped this.
  25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Wonder if JD took any GM 101A or B classes at USF?