Shoes...

Discussion in 'Referee' started by OMGFigo, Jul 2, 2012.

1. GKbenji

GKbenji Member+

Jan 24, 2003
    Fort Collins CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Black trail running shoes are now my choice, as suggested here. Lots of brands/models to choose from. Many trail shoes have a more aggressive sole (some as aggressive as many turf cleats) and better lateral support than standard running shoes. So add that, and the better comfort and cushioning as compared to soccer cleats or flats, I think a trail show is a great compromise for refereeing.

usaref and IllinoisRef repped this.
  2. Nesto

Nesto Member

Nov 3, 2004
    First of all, I've never had to worry about a little white on my shoe to make me look fast... I just AM fast ;-) It makes my day, when I hear a coach berate one of his players... "geez Joey, the REF is beating you!"

I definitely have been converted to the trail running shoe camp - for me they are soooo much more comfortable than any other choice. Have recently chosen one with significant ankle support as I rehab from broken ankle...
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004O8ZWFW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
    At the insistence of the fashion police (my wife) I took at black sharpie to the bright yellow midsole - something you can try for any shoe you think has too much brightness.

OMGFigo and Law5 repped this.
  3. cinepro

cinepro Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I really, really, really like my Adidas Team Mundials. I play indoor (turf) and outdoor (baked dirt) soccer, and ref on hard dirt fields, and couldn't imagine being without them. After a few weeks, the kangaroo leather just molds to your feet like they were made for you.

http://www.amazon.com/adidas-Mundia...412&sr=1-10&keywords=adidas+soccer+turf+shoes

Definitely give them a try. My feet are a little wide, and they were snug when I first got them, but like I said, after a few weeks, nirvana!

OMGFigo repped this.
  4. cinepro

cinepro Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    OMGFigo and IllinoisRef repped this.
  5. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Love it!

Years ago, I was doing a high school varsity boys dual on a VERY wet and muddy field. Play suddenly starts coming towards me so I'm beating feet to get back, with the mud sucking my shoes down, but I'm making progress and I'm ahead of the forward coming down my wing. Meanwhile, the defender, whose bench is behind me, hasn't reacted very quickly and has gotten left behind. His teammates on the bench yell "David! Try to keep up with the ref!" I believe David made some comment to them to the effect that there was a reason they were on the bench and he wasn't. His team lost anyway.

OMGFigo repped this.
  6. IllinoisRef

IllinoisRef Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  7. cinepro

cinepro Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  8. IllinoisRef

IllinoisRef Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    OMGFigo repped this.
  9. Errol V

Errol V Member+

Mar 30, 2011
    TMI!

10. MarinFCsoccer

MarinFCsoccer Member

May 16, 2008
    Novato
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Thread resurrection: Are these too flashy to ref in? I had some all-black Puma turfs some years ago, and they were the most comfortable and effective shoes I've ever ref'd in. I still mourn them.

12. IllinoisRef

IllinoisRef Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I dont think so. I've seen people wearing flashier shoes as of late.

13. Nesto

Nesto Member

Nov 3, 2004
    With the new ATR, I expect many referees won't worry too much about being flashy. Here's what the ATR says about shoes (emphasis mine)... "Black shoes are preferred but referees can wear any color shoes so long as they are appropriate to perform the duties required of an official."

Erocker repped this.
  14. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Alas, I fear some referees worry about it because, rightly or wrongly, those they work for do.

To Bubba: *I* don't think they're too flashy (though I confess I might not personally choose that much white for historical reasons), but what I (or others on BS) think really doesn't mater -- it's what those you work with/for think. If respected referees in your area are only wearing pretty pure black, you might get the wrong attention from it. If where you are has joined the modern age, then, as Nesto suggests, you're worrying too much.

So let's move on to the truly important things . . . like sleeve length . . . :whistling:

Dayton Ref and IASocFan repped this.
  15. Bradley Smith

Bradley Smith Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Shouldn't our shoes match our jersey colour for each game?

*ducks*

16. Slaskwroclaw18

Jun 26, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.
    I can't tell you how many times I get annoyed when I work with a referee and his sock stripes don't match our uniform color.

17. IllinoisRef

IllinoisRef Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  18. That Cherokee

That Cherokee Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    I second the trail running shoes. Can't go wrong with that. Is there a pyshcological study on this whole idea stripes make you look faster?

19. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    Bradley Smith repped this.
  20. Chas (Psyatika)

Oct 6, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    #45 Chas (Psyatika), Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
    I wore these all of last year. They are trail running shoes.
    http://www.zappos.com/inov-8-f-lite-230-all-black

Pros: extremely light, extremely flat (good if you use custom insoles)
    Cons: your feet get soaked! Not just when it's raining, either; dew is enough to soak your feet if you have an early morning game! Also, mine developed a hole on the side from side stepping as an AR (this is why you need shoes for AR-ing!)

I use Mundial cleats now, with cheap Payless running shoes on new style turf. I'm gonna try the Brooks Addiction shoes this summer though (if they're ever in stock).

The new ATR seems to remove the restriction on shoe color, while making matching sleeve lengths mandatory...go figure!

21. Buck the ref

Buck the ref Member

Aug 7, 2012

Look at the Asics Gel-180 in the training section - I've been wearing these for the last 12 years or so - gel cushsioning forefoot and heel - traction is good, except on very, very wet grass - look on line and probably get them for around $60 or so

22. anobles10

anobles10 New Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Rome, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tend to wear either Sambas or Copas from Adidas, but then again, I love Adidas stuff for both playing and for the high school team I coach. I also occasionally will wear AdiPure cleats or turfs, but the turfs were giving me shin splints really bad the last few seasons I wore them, and the cleats are starting to tear up. Plus, I really like the classic look of the Sambas and the Copas, so I typically wear them if I can.

23. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Has anyone ever used these Reebok Zig Magistrate Turf shoes?

I found them listed as American Football shoes. They weigh 14.8 oz, but I'm not sure how that compares to the other shoes in this thread.

24. Paper.St.Soap.Closed

Jul 29, 2010
    Those remind me of those hideous old Spot Bilt shoes.... Yuck! I wonder if American football shoes are built for the movements we make on the pitch.

From a weight perspective, about twice the weight of Nike Free Runs which are super light, so not terrible. When I'm in the middle, I am still a huge fan of wearing running shoes (studs when its super wet). On the line, I strong recommend something that has more lateral support, as I found it tough to side step in running shoes -- either my ankles or the shoe would wear out quickly.

25. Chas (Psyatika)

Oct 6, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    I briefly used American Football shoes when I was still an AYSO-only referee. They're definitely not good enough for soccer referee movements.