Argentine NT: News, Stats & Players 2013-2014 [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by locoxriver, Jul 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, not really. Once you set a transfer clause, that team has priority... in this case Hellas Verona. Porto is obligated to accept the bid, even if another team appears offering 100m Euros.

Of course Iturbe could turn down the offer and make the whole thing fall, opening doors for new clubs to make offers, but the Hellas Veronas to RM (or other big club) scenario sounds like what's going to happen.

SupaMario repped this.
  2. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Could Lucas Romero come in to replace Gago or is he too inexperienced ?

3. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I bet Porto is really regretting never using Iturbe. To be honest, it's completely baffling why they never used him. Iturbe is a legit crack. I remember when he first returned from River to Porto, he scored a golazo against Marseille in a friendly then they never played him again and he went to Verona

Porto and their handling of Iturbe is some of the all time greatest mismanagement of a player I've ever seen. And now seeing how bad their season went, losing the league, champions, and uefa cup it serves them right

4. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    In CA 2004 he was only a sub and played only like 2 and a half matches. In 2007 CA, Roman, Crespo , Messi all better than him. Tevez, Aimar, Heinze, Milito etc scored a single goal but its Tevez tournament.

However, Tevez performance in 2004 CA was close to Diego performance in 1986 except that team also has Saviola, Lucho , Masche, D' Alessandro plus experience players like Kily Gonzalez, Heinze and Ayala. But 17-0 which includes victory over Italy and Uruguay, that's hard to repeat. We did win it again 4 years later but in less impressive fashion.

5. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Tevez in NT was at his best under Pekerman and Bielsa. I think he should have start in Confederation 2005 but for some reason he didnt. I remember his instant impact when he came on in last 10 mins against Brazil, too late though. However, after WC 2006, Tevez just sink to Heskey level. 1 goal + 2 first half reds in entire qualifier and yet he started all the time in the WC itself including against Germany?! Aguero scored 4 goals in that qualifier despite playing less games and he was benched all the time.

6. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Messi amazingly just refuse to use his strength at all. I wonder he tries to create hatred from media and the fans towards himself, in other words, creating a reason to leave. I mean, if the fans and Spanish media scapegoating him just because one single season without a single thropy then I think he has a valid reason to hate them back. I'm saying this because the match commentators cant stop bitching about the way he played in last few games.

Or he's simply saving himself for the WC and that's it? Di Maria looks like he's giving his best.

7. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    clearly frustrated with the lack of service. Neymar simply refuses to play real passes ( only last ditch). Barcelona turned into what Argentina used to feel like for Leo

8. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The kid who was defending Bale on that goal, LOL. Good lord, Bale blew by him like a Ferrari blowing by a Fiat on the 405.

As for Messi, another lackluster game, he is basically playing on the RW which never really works. I bet Messi can not wait till the season is over. Angelito scored, but did not really have a good game, had moments, but nothing special.

What is this about Kun being subbed off because he was hurt?

9. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Without trying to defend that kid which clearly get owned, Bale once beating Zanetti for a hattrick.

10. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes, a 37 year old Pupi.

11. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Who literally stopped Messi in both legs in the next game.

12. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So I guess, Bale>Messi.

13. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    JESUS!

Right when I began having some faith in Romero for god know what reason, they give him a chance to start for Monaco today and this is what happens:

:eek: :eek:

Horrible reaction in all 3 goals, and complete fault in the first one. This is making me feel even less secure than I did before with Romero, and that's saying a lot. Lord help us.

14. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Awful goalkeeping. Hopefully this type of performance finally can convince Sabella to drop Romero for good.

locoxriver repped this.
  15. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Romero can catch the ball, turn around and kick it into his own net and Sabella will still have faith in him.

cigar_city and locoxriver repped this.
  16. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Someone needs to contact Messi and tell him you won't win a World Cup with the current clown in goal. Tell Sabella right now you want Caballero. And that di Maria also agrees.

Sabella is an idiot. His stubborn pig headed attitude like other coaches before him will cost us dear. I hope Romero picks up a serious knee injury soon. If he had any shame he would also tell Sabella I am not even in the current top ten of Argentina keepers. Please pick someone else.

Kun came off without any injury. However he was lucky he did not have his ankle broken. Ditto for Zabaleta.

Pipiolo repped this.
  17. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #1117 Rattlehead, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    Considering how many times Kun has been injured this season, he shouldnt force himself if he hasnt feel 100% yet. It seems that he's having an ongoing hamstering problem like Messi did in first half of this season but Kun gets in second part of the season. Di Maria will have 2-3 more matches in CL, hopefully shit dont happen. Without him I dont think Messi presence alone would be strong enough to carry this team... unless Messi turn into Diego in all sudden and ride 50+ fouls in the tournament without getting injured.

Even IF Sabella does replace Romero, I'm afraid we still have to relied more on our goalscoring ability than expecting some superb defending. Sabella has enough time to improve the defensive problem (more than 2 years) but improvement is minimum because he somehow love to see Romero's performance. Base on qualifier stats, we have the best defence along with Colombia but those stats dont mean jackshit once we get out from group stage.

18. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Not sure what is going on with Kun. It seems that he was taken out not because of injury, though --- just lack of match fitness?

I really pray Messi delivers for Argentina. I don't think in today's world, there can ever be a Maradona-86 type of performance --- the marking is tighter, the defenses faster, etc ---- but I just really want Messi to be amazing for Argentina, God-willing, this World Cup. It is surprising, some of the reactions of people against Messi, even coming from Barcelona. Nevertheless, it will take a healthy Aguero and Di Maria for Argentina to win the World Cup, God-willing. I am a little worried about Kun coming back in and out. Hopefully Man City is not forcing the issue.

I hope Messi just leaves Barcelona. Him and Kun at Man City would be nice.

On another note, CR7 hugging Messi at the end of yesterday's match was a nice gesture. It is good to see that you can be someone's biggest rival but still have enough decency to console your rival after defeat.

SupaMario repped this.
  19. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #1119 Rattlehead, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    Sorry the marking isnt really tigher if you actually watch the 86 and 90 WC.

Messi played in era that does not allowed that kind of tackles. South Korean didnt get any man sent off despite playing like that

Pipiolo and cigar_city repped this.
  20. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Only after FIFA helped him to win the WPOTY though;)

afar repped this.
  21. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    One of CR7's main drives is to beat Messi. He loves the competition against him and knows it makes him better (and vice-versa). No animosity there.

22. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

23. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    I love romero's reaction to those goals lool

24. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I saw that, and it was quite a nice gesture. Messi appeared to be smiling or laughing, glad he didn't take this defeat to heart.

25. cigar_city

cigar_city Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Likely where I should NOT be...
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
    The redoubtable Jonathan Wilson in Argentina, nice read:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/apr/17/argentina-lionel-messi-fernando-gago-world-cup

Also, not sure how many of you listen to Hand of Pod, but the podcast's progenitor is having both Rupert Fryer and Jonathan Wilson, visiting Argentina, on for this week's episode. Whenever i'm not injured, I can't remember not listeing to this English language podcast about futbol Argentino on my weekend runs. Anyone who doesn't listen to this podcast is a clown! (looking at YOU, River Gaucho, who should be a regular contributor to the show)

http://handofpod.wordpress.com/

You're not clowns, but you know what i mean.
    (RG's still a bit of a clown, but only when sober. Drunk RG = Fu(king Awesome)

Speaking of clowns ... Romero! Banega! Como estan, mequetrefes?

locoxriver and Albiceleste2010 repped this.