The Did you know thread. Uselss, but Fascinating historical facts and stories)

Discussion in 'History' started by Excape Goat, Jan 2, 2006.

1. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    by jonve, i think he's got it. i was going to say coolidge on the same basis but those are FDR's eyes.

2. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You got it.

I saw it on National Geographical Channel. It was fashionable to dress baby toddler as girl back when FDR was a baby.

3. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    in europe too.

[​IMG]
    this monet is called madame charpentier and her children.

the one on the left is a girl and the one on the right is a boy.

Excape Goat repped this.
  4. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    I heard that lobsters don't die of old age, they live until they are eaten. This is bullshit, right?

5. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    FWIW a quick Wikipedia search seems to confirm their longevity.

6. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I understand carp are also killed by things but do not, as far as is known, die. There was one in Russia which was kept for a couple of hundred years, got to be six or eight feet long; but I believe I recall reading 15 or 20 years ago that it got a fungus infection which killed it.

7. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    most everything in the sea ends up getting eaten, usually before getting very old. it's a fish eat fish world. life is nasty brutish and short. like me.
    carp are short on predators except other carp, so once they become the big fish in the pond they can live a long time.

aldous huxley wrote a book touching on the longevity of carp called after many a summer dies the swan.

8. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Jodi Ann Paterson was the Playmate of the Year in 2000. She was the first POTY with a college degree. :)

9. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    When I was a boy I had the same babysitter as a girl who would become Playmate of the Month and PotY for Playboy's Dutch edition. We took baths together...

Excape Goat repped this.
  10. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    The thread says "facts.";)

guignol repped this.
  11. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was perusing google for her pics and (amongst the nice nudes) I recognized someone else in a pic with her - so I looked it up and she is married to Micheal Andretti - so I have seen her before, just in a totally different context :)

12. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid

I did not know that. Anyway, I found it surprising... I meant a lot pf Playmates came from those college edition and none of them became Playmate of the Year until 2000.

13. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Marcel Petiot was a French MD during Vichy France. He claimed that he could arrange a passage to Argentina or elsewhere in South America for people wanted by the Germans and the Vichy Government for the price of 25,000 franc. Jews, Resistance fighters, etc went to see him. Once people were in his control, Petiot injected them with cyanide. Then he took all their valuables and disposed of the bodies. He was actually a serial killer.

His killing spree ended in 1943 when the Gestapo discovered about his Underground Railway. They arrested three of his accomplices. They spent eight months in prison, suspected of helping Jews to escape. Even under torture, they did not identify any other members of the Resistance because they knew of none. The Gestapo released the three men in January 1944.

In 1944, bodies were discovered in his home. He claimed that he was a member of the French Resistance and claimed that the bodies were those of Germans, traitors, and collaborators. The French police released him because people, in general, approved of resistance activities.

Petiot hide with friends, claiming that the Gestapo wanted him because he had killed Germans and informers. During the liberation of Paris in 1944, he changed his name to "Henri Valeri" and actually joined the joined the French Forces of the Interior (resistance fighters) during the uprising.

After the War, he was arrested. During the trial, he again claimed to be Resistance fighter and the bodies were Germans or collaborators. But the police found that Petiot had no friends in any of the major Resistance groups. Some of the Resistance groups he spoke of had never existed.

He was convicted of 26 counts of murder, and sentenced to death.

yasik19 repped this.
  14. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    [​IMG]

After graduation in 1941, Ford earned extra money as a model. In 1942, just after joining the Navy, Ford appeared on the cover of Cosmopolitan magazine in his uniform,

15. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    [​IMG]

This photo of a German solider was used in German newspaper at the beginning war as "The Ideal German Soldier" because of his physical appearance. His image was later used in recruitment posters for the German army. Ironically, he was half-Jewish. His name Werner Goldberg. In 1940, he was expelled from the army because he was half-Jewish.

16. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand allegedly has bad relationship with the ex-Prime Minister Thaksin since the early 2000's that led to the military coup in 2005 and a series of political turmoils that followed. Last month, we saw a military coup in Thailand. And then, last week, King Juan Carlos I abdicated the throne in Spain.

King Bhumibol Adulyadej was the youner brother of the previous Thai king, King Ananda Manhidol. To cut the story short.... on June 9, 1946, King Ananda Manhidol wake up in the morning. Prince Bhumibol Adulyadej entered the bedroom at 9am. The king and the prince were alone in the bedroom. At 9.20 am, a single shot rang out from the king's bedroom. The pages rushed in and found the king shot dead. No one really knew what happened as only two persons were inside the room. Some said the then Prince Bhumibol Adulvadej held the gun that shot bhis brother. The death, however, was ruled accidental(assassination claimed by the court against the two pages). The two brothers were very close. King Bhumibol Adulyadej could not get over the death of his brother.

King Juan Carlos was then an exiled prince in Portugal. To cut the story short,... on Good Friday, 1956, Juan Carlos just returned home on holiday from military school. He was in his bedroom. His younger brother Alfonso entered the bedroom. The two princes were alone in the bedroom. A single shot rang out from the Juan Carlos' bedroom. Alfonso was found dead. No one really knew what happened as only two persons were inside the room. Some said the then Prince Juan Carlos held the gun that shot his brother. The death, however, was ruled accidental. The two brothers were very close. King Juan Carlos could not get over the death of his brother.

17. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The John Harvard statue is a landmark at Harvard. The statue actually isn't John Harvard. There are no likeness of John Harvard. a Harvard student named Sherman Hoar modeled for the statue. He became a Congressman later in life.

NickyViola repped this.
  18. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    NickyViola repped this.
  19. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Joshua Abraham Norton was a wealthy businessman in San Francisco. In 1858, he lost all of his money. He went nuts . At that time, he had become completely disgruntled with what he considered the inadequacies of the legal and political structures of the United States. So he decided to became the new leader of the United States and proclaim himself to be the "Emperor Norton I" of the United States. He wrote to the newspapers and newspaper in San Francisco decided to print his story as a joke. Thus, he became a celebrity in San Francisoc for the next 21 years.

In his self-appointed role of emperor, Norton issued numerous decrees on matters of the state. Most of them were wild. He ordered the US Army to disband the US Congress in DC. However, some of his ideas were visionary. He "ordered" a creation of a League of Nations. He also wrote a decree about the construction of a suspension bridge connecting Oakland and San Francisco.

He was a popular man in San Francisco. The town hall gave Norton an imperial uniform to wear, the Metropolitan hotel gave him a room for free and, when he needed some cash for his daily expenses, he simply issued his own money with the help of a local printer. His banknotes soon passed into circulation and were accepted everywhere. During the anti-Chinese riot of 1860, he stopped a violent attack by standing between the rioters and their targets and reading the Lord's Prayers until the rioters dispersed.

The King in Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn was based on him.

crazypete13 and NickyViola repped this.
  20. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    As ear;y as 1783, The Continental Congress decided to erect an equestrian statue of George Washington in DC. The project never started despite serious effects were made after Washington's death in 1799. The project finally started in 1839, but construction of the Washington Mounument started 9 years later in 1848. Political fightings, the lack of funds, the Civil War, etc killed the project. The Monument stood unfinsihed in DC for 20 years.

Finally, in 1879, work resumed. It was was dedicated on February 21, 1885.... one hundred and two years after the project was proposed.

21. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Today is Hiroshima's anniversary. It is well-known that he firebombing pf Dresden and Hamburg suffered much worst destruction than Hiroshima or Nagasaki. The firebombing of Tokyo was much worst than Hiroshima and Nagaski. In fact, 26 Japanese cities were bombed by the Americans in the three weeks before Hiroshima. Of these, almost a third of those cities suffered more than Hiroshima (in terms of the percentage of the city destroyed).

22. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Eight presidents served without a Vice President. Four of them -- John Tyler, Millard Fillmore, Andrew Johnson, and Chester Arthur -- all served an entire term without a vice president.

Chester Arthur was the most unprepared Vice-President candidate ever. He never ran for anything prior to the election of 1880. The highest position he had ever held was as Collector of Customs of the Port of New York. He was fired from that job by President Hayes. James Garfield died 7 months into his office. Vice-President Arthur became the 21st President of the US. Most Americans were horrified(especially, Garfield's assassin claimed to work with Arthur).

Vice-President Richard Johnson proposed an expedition to the North Pole so that the United States could be the first nation to drill to the center of the earth. He believed the earth was hollow. President Van Buren dropped him for his reelection. He ran alone.

Vice-President William King died 25 days into his office,. He served in that office for less time than any other vice president. He was also the only Vice-President who took oath in on foreign soil. He went to Cuba to recover his illness after the election. He was also widely believed to be the gay lover of future President Buchanan.

King was the only life long bachelor Vice-President in history. Buchanan was the only life long bachelor President in history. They lived 10 years together in Washington until King left for France in 1844. Some people believed President Andrew Jackson called the pair as as “Miss Nancy” and “Aunt Fancy".

Oh... they did not serevd together. King was President Franklin Pierce's vice-President. He died before Buchanan became the President.

23. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    To make this clear, these presidents didn't serve the whole four years but the whole amount remaining on 4 year terms when they ascended to the presidency after the death of the President. In Tyler's & Johnson's case the took over the presidency a month or so into the term.

Excape Goat repped this.
  24. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Not useless nor fascinating but today is the 100 anniversary of the opening of the Panama Canal.

25. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Wow!....can I use that? :cool: