2014 US Open Cup...

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by msilverstein47, Jun 17, 2013.

1. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US Open Cup NPSL qualifying results:
    Golden Gate Conference Final:
    CD Aguiluchos USA 1:1 Sonoma County Sol
    (CDA advances 4-3 in PKs)
    Northwest Conference Semifinals:
    Spartans Futbol Club 6:0 SO Samba FC
    Seattle Sporting FC advances after a 1-0 win over Inter United FC.
    NPSL Southwest Conference Semifinals:
    FC Hasental 6:1 Futbol Club Santa Clarita Storm
    SD Flash win their second round USOC qualifier against FC Force 3-0

athletics68 and ceezmad repped this.
  2. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    So samba had a weak side out only 6 first team players some needing international clearance. So league games will be closer but still a bad start for the Hood River club.

3. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #78 msilverstein47, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  4. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    Spartans FC won 3-0

https://www.facebook.com/SpartansSFC/photos/pcb.597953196965743/597945783633151/?type=1&theater crowd looks ok

some interesting points in the video from 10.30-25.00. "they )NPSL) are talking about moving into a tier 3 league which would compete with the USL 1 Division (usl pro) and the top 40 teams move up" , "i hope to finish in the top 40 in the NPSL league this year" So by the sounds of that that they might have 4x10 team pro divisions at a guess?

6. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    CD Aguiluchos 2 - 1 Spartans took a PK to knock Oregons NPSL side out after a 11 hour drive south. best of luck to CD Aguiluchos in the cup.

8. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    TheCup.us are reporting (via Twitter) that USL-Pro will have a play-in round to get into the tournament ...

Whether that means they'll join the tournament a round before NASL teams or whether only certain USL-Pro clubs will get in I'm not sure, but I'd bet it's the latter (even though the former probably makes more sense).

9. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Sure sounds like the latter.

Maybe the 8 NASL and 8 USL-Pro teams that survive a play-in round entering in the round before the 16 MLS teams. If you go by last year's standings that might mean Richmond and Orlando go straight in while the other 12 teams have a playoff for the remaining 6 spots.

10. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love how he didn't credit his source. :)

I told him "play-in round" and he said "play-in game."

May 1-7 has been designated as "US Open Cup Play-In Round." USL had no further details other than the dates because USSF has not yet announced the tournament format.

But with 14 teams, they could give automatic entry to the tournament proper to two teams (either top two from last year or whatever) and have the other 12 play off with the winners going to the tournament proper, giving USL Pro 8 representatives. Just one theory.

Or - since it appears several teams are playing a couple times that week already, maybe they'll use regular season matches as play-ins.

Already-scheduled USL Pro matches the week of May 1-7

Thursday, May 1
    None

Friday, May 2
    Charleston at Harrisburg
    Rochester at Richmond

Saturday, May 3
    Charlotte at Arizona
    Orange County at Sacramento
    Rochester at Wilmington

Sunday, May 4
    Charleston at Dayton
    Oklahoma City at Orlando

Monday, May 5
    Charlotte at LA Galaxy II

Tuesday, May 6
    None

Wednesday, May 7
    None

Pittsburgh is the only USL Pro team not scheduled to play a league match from 4/26 to 5/9.

The other dates for the tournament are, supposedly:

Wednesday, May 14: Round 1
    Wednesday, May 28: Round 2
    Saturday/Sunday, June 14-15: Round 3 (That's different, and everybody except Dayton and Orlando has a conflict already) (Unless it's a typo and it's really June 10/11, don't know.)
    Tuesday/Wednesday, June 24-25: Round 4
    Tuesday/Wednesday, July 8-9: Quarterfinals
    Tuesday/Wednesday, August 12-13: Semifinals
    Tuesday/Wednesday, Sept. 30-Oct. 1: Final

Round 3, Round 4 and the Quarters would be during the World Cup. Round 3 and Round 4 would be during MLS' World Cup break (largely, there is an MLS match scheduled on June 25, but it's Vancouver/Montreal, who obviously don't participate in the US Open Cup).

Two weeks between rounds 1 and 2, rounds 2 and 3, rounds 3 and 4 and round 4 and the quarters. That probably helps a bit.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  11. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come to think of it ... that play-in round they mention probably doesn't have anything to do with the USL (especially USL Pro) ... it's probably just mentioning that's one of the tentative dates for the Preliminary Round (as we call it) - Tweet fixed

Other qualifying tidbits ...

2014 US Open Cup qualifying: NPSL’s San Diego Flash back after 13 years; CD Aguiluchos USA to debut in 2014 >> http://thecup.us/2014-us-open-cup-q...-13-years-cd-aguiluchos-usa-to-debut-in-2014/

(Likely Preliminary Round entry...) Colorado Rovers repeat as USSSA champions, clinch US Open Cup berth in shutout-filled qualifying tournament >> http://thecup.us/colorado-rovers-re...erth-in-shutout-filled-qualifying-tournament/

Highlights: Every single game in the USSSA tournament involved a shutout (3 scoreless draws) ... the KC Athletics fell just short of qualifying for the 2014 Open Cup in their second attempt

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that could very well be it. Last year it was 2 NPSL teams against a USSSA team and a USCS team.

Still, why designate a whole week?

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, good luck.

I have to check, but I think the NPSL has something like 78 teams this year? Top 40? Wow.

And I can't imagine they have 10 clubs with the ability to go D3.

14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They won't go D3, they will just call themselves the best Pro league below MLS and NASL ;)

bullsear repped this.
  15. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    I dont expect them to become D3 to be honest they are currently below the PDL and the top 40 could be ranked ahead of PDL maybe with a bit of improvement. There are prob 5 teams with good crowds and could go "pro" if they were in a regional league with low travel costs. I think going to USL PRO if you are good enough and leave the NPSL to be a ametuer league with small travel.

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again with this.

Look, people....stop with the travel costs as a big impediment thing.

It's paying players, paying workman's comp and payroll taxes and increasing your staff and overall level of professionalism that keeps amateur teams from going pro.

It's overall budget. Travel is a part of that. But right now PDL teams put guys in an 18-passenger van (or two) and drive. The cost of travel does tend to go up when you get away from that model, but airline ticket costs are not based on distance, they are based on supply and demand.

Some NPSL teams only played four or five road games last year. Go pro and it's not only the distance you have to travel, but, more importantly, the number of road trips you have to make and, again, paying the players.

Exactly one - ONE - PDL or NPSL team has moved up to the pro ranks in the last 11 years. And there are a great many teams that are within driving distance of USL Pro (and before that, USL-2 and D3 Pro League) who could have.

It's not travel costs that are keeping them from making the jump. It's overall costs, with the biggest ones being salaries for players and staff, that are keeping that from happening.

(Also, you'd reach a point well before you got to the 40th-best NPSL organization where you'd be out of teams that are reasonably-put-together.)

17. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Michael Lewis wrote in Big Apple Soccer that those teams that are not playing on Wednesday, June 11th before the start of the World Cup that are not MLS League games will be US Open Cup Games & the weekend dates in June that you typed Ken will be those sides that played on June 11th on the weekend. I'll try to find the link for the story, but that's what I saw Ken.

18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, that's cool. A good date for an Open Cup match is a good thing.

19. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I cannot figure out this sentence. Kenn seems to have gotten it but I'm struggling.

Some of the 3rd round will be on Wednesday, June 11th and some will be on June 14-15? Is that it?

The June 11th MLS games are Montreal-DC and Portland-Dallas. So DC, Portland, and Dallas will be playing in the Open Cup on June 14-15?

But for USL-Pro there are these games:

Wednesday, June 11
    Pittsburgh v. Harrisburg City
    Orlando City v. Orange County
    Arizona United v. Dayton
    LA Galaxy II v. Rochester

Friday, June 13
    Charlotte v. Orange County

Saturday, June 14
    Harrisburg City v. Pittsburgh
    Richmond v. Wilmington
    Charleston v. LA Galaxy II
    OKC Energy v. Sacramento
    Arizona United v. Rochester

Six of those teams play twice.

I'm confused.

20. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    It could change. You never know, but once again the official report is not out yet from US Soccer.

21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's about that time when we hear something. Usually.

I will be interested to see if league fixtures get moved around at the USL Pro level. And if that was part of the understanding in the arrangement between MLS and USL.

22. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    You still didn't explain what you meant by: "those teams that are not playing on Wednesday, June 11th before the start of the World Cup that are not MLS League games will be US Open Cup Games & the weekend dates in June that you typed Ken will be those sides that played on June 11th on the weekend. "

"those teams that are not playing on Wednesday June 11th" that would be almost all of the MLS teams and a few USL Pro teams.

"that are not MLS League games" so only talking about USL Pro games?

"will be US Open Cup Games" What will be Open Cup games? MLS teams will be playing on the 11th?

"& the weekend dates in June that you typed Ken will be those sides that played on June 11th on the weekend." So the weekend Open Cup games will be the (MLS) teams that played league games on June 11th?

23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Montreal can't, obviously.

24. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or not.

Go figure. I wonder what the hold up is.

25. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    If you look at the MLS Schedule for June. There are games being played on Wed., June 11th. three games are schedule those MLS teams not playing that day could play their US Open Cup Round 3 games then. Of course if a USL Pro team that does move forward towards Round 3 can move their league games to another date.

It happens all the time for those sides in the FA Cup later in the tournament. But like I said, let's wait for the announcement of the tournament happen.