2014 U-17 FIFA World Cup in Costa Rica

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by WPS_Movement, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Yay, Japan! Ok, girls, 10 minutes and 9 more goals to go.

2. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    71' 1-0 Spain subs in (2 of 3) FW #8 Mireya García for LW #10 Andrea Sánchez Falcón.

79' 2-0 #8 Kobayashi at circle arc top slips a vertical through-ball to #13 Fuka Kono at 15m arc left. She takes it rightward to 14m right post, gets her feet sorted, opens hips and finishes calmly right instep just inside right post low, under del Toro's left hand.

79' 2-0 Japan subs in (2 of 3) FW #20 Mizuki Saihara for LM #11 Meika Nishida.

3. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    83' 2-0 Spain subs in (3 of 3) MF #19 Maite Oroz Arteta for #6 María Pilar Garrote Camuñez (left metatarsals?).

84' 2-0 #6 Miyagawa gets beaten at endline toward box right foot, hip-checks her into the endzone. Yellow card on Miyagawa.

84' 2-0 Spain fk, back to RB #2 Nuria Garrote, one-time shot shanked way high.

4. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Unlucky for Japan's #20. That cross bar strikes again!

5. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    86' 2-0 Japan chip up box right to send #13 Kono behind the left flank, to box top right. She crosses low and fast toward 6-top left -- del Toro comes 3/4 of the way out, cannot get there in time. #20 Saihara runs on, one-touch volley right instep, rising over del Toro -- off crossbar and pops up high. Drops to 6-top, where 3 defenders chest ball back to del Toro.

90' 2-0 #13 Kono, coming back to challenge, spins 180 and butt-checks somebody off the ball at center circle right. Yellow card on Kono. They're not winning the Fair Play Trophy now :p

6. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Congrats Japan.

Kudos to Univision for staying in Costa Rica and broadcasting the awards ceremony live. :thumbsup:

lukephan repped this.
  7. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Similar metrics and same result as their their group match almost three weeks ago.

Japan have scored 62 goals in group in four U17 World Cups. They have only ever given up a point in group in a U17 World Cup once. In 2010 the bronze medalist Spanish side beat them 4-1 in group. The Japanese however, went to the final.

8. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess again.

blissett repped this.
  9. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Japan dominating the awards. Well deserved IMO. They were by far the best team in this tournament.

gricio61 and blissett repped this.
  10. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow ... CRC brought a 6-minute fireworks show.
    It's still going!

Japan run down to the field to pose behind the "Champions" board.
    Spain give them a nice salute: a two-line corridor, with polite applause.

Japan 2014 W-17:
    YouGetAnAwardYouGetAnAwardYouGetAnAwardYouGetAnAward

blissett repped this.
  11. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Before that Japan gave Spain walk in guard of honor for their silver medals;)
    [​IMG]

KAPIJXM, debzy, gricio61 and 3 others repped this.
  12. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    Spain returned the favour: 085.png

debzy, Lechus7 and blissett repped this.
  13. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    Just to go back to the earlier game........... here's another first (apart from seeing 4 equalizers by one team - and great goals by both sides) ...... View attachment 26187
    Although the "up-for-the-last-chance" GK would play no part, she was in the business half of the field for the last-kick-of-the-game equalizer.

gricio61, blissett and lukephan repped this.
  14. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    World Cup in numbers... :alien:
    tabela.jpg

debzy, gricio61, mumf and 2 others repped this.
  15. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #590 blissett, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
    So happy for Japan's win :D. We Japanese fans didn't stick on this thread much, but you should see Nadeshiko Japan thread, where we were quite busy, to get an idea...

About Italy, as expected, yesterday, on one of the main national newspapers there was just a lateral little article of 15 lines at page 49 mentioning that the Azzurine were going to play for the bronze at U-17 WWC in the Italian evening...

I didn't buy the newspaper yet today (I am home slightly ill), but I am very curious to see if the team will get any recognition for their brilliant and unexpected bronze medal at their first U-17 WWC participation. but I am not going to hold my breath for that... :unsure:

16. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    My final thought to this world cup , well now we can say without any doubt female football is going on the right direction , I join Emma Hayes (Chelsea coach) this world cup was the best U17 ever....the average quality of the teams both technically and tactically was just at least two level superior to those in the first world cup . The best team won! Japan ahs simply been IMPRESSIVE , there is no doubt this team could beat average seniors teams....more than their perfect tactics or excellent technical abilities what I like the most is their movement off the ball. Their ball holder always had 2/3 option and was able to pick the right one to do a very high football IQ in basically all the team....really really impressive.
    Spain and Italy showed their federation that they are talented players in those countries , well we already knew about Spain, but I am very happy Italian , a so big nation in football MUST invest in women's too!! (Argentina!!!....:mad:), Italy backed up by the federation will be massive in a couple of years . However, the mascot of the tournament could only be Venezuela , Castellanos attacking movement are just unbelievable , is not a hazard that she is the only one who scored to the almost perfect Japan's defense , what a talent!! Even in her case (and her teammates ) it's all depend on their federation , but it would be a shame if they do invest on that team as talented as they are .
    I would say there was no failure , even Germany which I always said I didn't expected that much from them even after winning the Euro's...I always said Spain was euro best team...I was expecting a little bit more from Canada after their first game (the best match of the world cup imo) but that's fine , they gave us the most talented player of the tournament ...Jessie Fleming...and for the african nations I think they learn the lesson that they need to improve their tactical and technical level ...but Ghana was very good..Anyway here are my awards and world cup best eleven:
    Best player of the tournament:
    1. Hina Sugita (Japan)
    2. Jessie Fleming (Canada)
    3. Deyna Castellanos (Venezuela)

Best eleven:
    ........................................Matsumoto (jap)
    Yekka (can).......Galvez (esp)...........Ichise (jap)...........Miyagawa (jap)
    .............................................Pilar (esp)
    ........................Fleming (can).............Sugita (jap)
    Castellanos (ven)...................Garcia (ven)....................Hasegawa (jap)

Honorable mention:
    Okuma, Kobayashi, Endo - Japan
    Falcon, Dominguez, Hernandez, Menayo, Del Toro - Spain
    Vergani, Durante, Giugliano, Piemonte, Simonetti, Cavicchia - Italy
    D.Rodriguez, Zambrano, Herrera - Venezuela
    Sehan - Germany
    Levasseur, Kinzner, Dhaliwal - Canada
    Anima, Amfobea, Ayieyam - Ghana
    G.Villalobos - Costa Rica
    Alvarado - Mexico
    Ajibade - Nigeria
    Hyang Sim Sung - North Korea

Without forgetting the coach , Zseremeta (Venezuela), Sbardella (Italy) and the two best which are also two women:thumbsup:...FFF!!!....Priestman (Canada) and Takemoto-Takakura (Japan).

gricio61 and blissett repped this.
  17. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I am sorry I have to correct your sentence. :unsure: I am not sure at all that Italian Federation is ready to invest on women's football in our country...

gricio61 repped this.
  18. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    blissett repped this.
  19. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sorry for copying & pasting my own post from Nadeshiko Japan's thread, but I thought maybe someone on this thread could have been interested in the fact that U-17 WWC 2014 goal-of-the-tournament has been chosen:

"Meanwhile Mexican Janae Gonzalez's goal vs Costa Rica was voted top-goal of U-17 WWC. Frankly, a quite ordinary goal, if you ask me... o_O I wouldn't have expected it to top some of the other short-listed goals. 2nd placed Castellanos' lob was just a little better, in my opinion. Tahicelis Marcano's goal vs Italy rounded-up the podium with yet another middle-range shot vs bad placed GK... (anyway maybe better at that than the winner itself)."

gricio61 repped this.
  20. jagum

jagum Member

CF Montreal
    Venezuela
    Jun 20, 2007
    Panama City, Panama
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    Very enjoyable World Cup

debzy repped this.
  21. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  22. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Yes, they are going to be VERY GOOD that year.
    They will at least get to the Semifinal in 2023.