2014 Canadian Championship Thread (R)

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Polygong, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #1 Polygong, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
    [​IMG]

So the time is almost here for the most anticipated tournament in the world!!!! :D
    Starting a thread here for discussion for those following the tournament as a whole. I hope to update this post with results as they become avaialble.

BTW, if anyone can tell me how to format the table below so that everything lines up nicely, I'd appreciate it. :) [Edit: thanks SJJ]

Seeding:
    1. Impact de Montreal
    2. Vancouver Whitecaps FC
    3. Toronto FC
    4. Ottawa Fury FC/FC Edmonton

Fixtures:

Match
    RoundDateVenueClubs/Result
    1 Prelim 23-Apr Carleton University OFFC 0 FCE 0
    2 Prelim 30-Apr Clarke Stadium FCE 3 OFFC 1
    3 Semi 07-May Clarke Stadium FCE 2 IdM 1
    4 Semi 07-May BMO Field TFC 2 VWFC 1
    5 Semi 14-May Stade Saputo IdM 4 FCE 2
    6 Semi 14-May BC Place VWFC 2 TFC 1 (PK VWFC 3 TFC 5)
    7 Final 28-MayBMO Field TFC 1 IdM 1
    8 Final 04-Jun Stade Saputo IdM 1 TFC 0

2014 Voyageur's Cup Champions: Impact de Montréal

fuzzx repped this.
  2. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    soccersubjectively repped this.
  3. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #3 Polygong, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
    soccersubjectively repped this.
  4. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    with sporstnet not willing to televise the spring season with both FCE and Ottawa Fury both playing at football stadiums with lines, Would RogersTV be able to broadcast both the Anway Canadian Cahmpionship as well as the first part of the spring season until the Fury move to TD place since the MLSE owned 67s already have a staning deal with Rogers TV Ottawa. As for FCE could ShawTV be allowed to telivise the Amway as well as the first park of the short spring season until the Field Turf at Clarke can be made without permanent football lines where sportsnet360 may jump back into the mix with the month off after the short spring season and both veneues would be more soccer specific.

5. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Alright, everyone, now that we've had a chance to see the MLS and NASL teams is action for the season, what are your predictions? Mine are:

Edmonton over Ottawa in the preliminary round

Montreal over Edmonton and Toronto over Vancouver in the semis

Toronto over Montreal in the final

6. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    According to this, someone emailed the Fury and they say that they are working with the CSA on a solution. I'm hoping for a stream.

7. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  8. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    No one else wants to take a shot at predicting the outcome?

After following the start of the NASL season, I think Ottawa and Edmonton will have an interesting preliminary round. I hope their attendance carries forward to this tournament because they both did very well in that regard in their home openers.

9. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Haven't seen Ottawa or Edmonton play, but Toronto have to be the favorites for the whole thing.

10. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Edmonton and Ottawa end the first game in a draw. 2411 in attendance in Ottawa. Not bad for a blustery Wednesday night.

Edmonton has to be happy with the result heading home. It looks like Miller largely stuck with his usual squad despite his comments about freshening up the team and giving some playing time to guys who don't normally see it.

PS Mods, should we add an R to the thread subject line? It should be obvious but...

11. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yes it should be done, no it's not THAT obvious :p, done.

12. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #12 adrenaline11, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    I don't know about that. As I was saying on the TFC board, the Whitecaps have the most pressure from their fans to play their starters. If everyone plays their starters, then TFC are favourites but if they don't then Vancouver are the next best team. Their fans haven't tasted glory in this tournament before so that might persuade them to go for it more so than the other four teams.

It's a blessing in disguise for Ottawa to play at smaller stadium. Maybe going forward, if there are more teams in the tournament, the CSA will permanently waive the requirement regarding soccer only lines on the pitch. If that happens, Ottawa should play their Cup games at Carleton.

13. ironcub14

ironcub14 Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I've sat at the Carleton stadium for the home opener, and I think we will take a refurbished Landsdowne over Carleton any given day :)

Also, when Ottawa hosts a MLS club in a nicer day than what we saw on Wednesday, the attendance should be far better. When the NHL/NBA playoffs conclude, as well.

14. ironcub14

ironcub14 Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Not the happiest with Ottawa's play in their first 3 matches so far, but it has to be said that we are missing 4 of our core 5 players.

Our 2 vice-captains and our 2 players with MLS first-team experience.

15. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    And it's possible they never will. Do you realize that Vancouver has never won the Voyageurs' Cup? Not just never won the Canadian Championship but never, ever won the VC? Even back when it was just D2 teams and Vancouver was routinely near the top of the league? If we assume that, in the long run, Vancouver has as much of a chance of winning as anyone else and, given the number of teams that competed in all the different years, the chance of Vancouver never having won is about 1.3%. (If they lose this year it will be 1.0% and the year after that just 0.8%.)

Then consider the number of weird occurrences that have contributed to this dry spell: Losing games or dropping points in key matches to A-League teams as pitiful as the Toronto Lynx and Calgary Storm. Montreal's famous collapse back in '09. The sudden thunderstorm that snatched victory from Vancouver in 2011.

Put it all together and it's clear that Someone just doesn't want Vancouver to win this tournament. :)

I've said it elsewhere: I understand why they're going to play at TD Place but a smaller stadium would suit them far better at this stage of their development. Even a crowd of 4000 or 5000, which would be great for them, is going to vanish in a 24 000 seat venue.

16. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I see what you're saying, but that wasn't really a collapse by Montreal as much as it was them all but throwing the game with a B-squad since they had no chance of winning the tournament at that point.

Even as a TFC fan I was pretty annoyed by that result, Vancouver was robbed.

17. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Better 2009 Montreal collapse: The 6-1, or conceding twice in stoppage time to go out in the quarterfinals?

18. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Me, too. It cheapened the win and, by extension, the tournament. It was a case of Montreal caring only about what was best for themselves in the short run instead of operating with integrity and long term mutual benefit in mind.

Regardless of how it happened, there is something about Vancouver and the VC.

19. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    At least now that it's done by knockout rounds rather than a single table so that kind of thing can't happen again.

Vancouver certainly seems jinxed though.

20. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    You know, I'd never considered that benefit of the knock out round format, but you are quite correct.

21. ironcub14

ironcub14 Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  22. ironcub14

ironcub14 Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    The stadium at Landsdowne, what they are planning to do is, they will close off one of the two main stands and the top part of the other main stand, so that the actual capacity for the NASL games will be around 8,000, I believe. That should provide a more intimate atmosphere.

I'm personally hoping that when the NBA/NHL playoffs will have concluded that we will be able to maintain the 3,000 for the Saturday league games at Carleton, and that once the World Cup buzz has hit the city and that we move to that beautiful refurbished stadium right next to the Rideau Canal, that we will be able to get close to filling up the 8,000. We will have the nice weather and the great location to look forward to, though they need a better public transportation to the stadium.

This gives you an illustration of the seating planning for the NASL matches: http://www.ottawafuryfc.com/page/slug/season-tickets

23. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    That will not be too bad. for the new south side stands it is made for closing off the upper level allowing the lower level being close to the pitch and the suites will also still be open.
    The refurbished North side closing off all but the field level seats. I guess it will depend on how they cover or disguise those seats. Will the seats be tarped off with sponsor and Fury, OSEG, and NASL logo's.
    The black section seats that are behind the endline I think wuld be better being closed off as well with temp seats placed behind the goal where the supporters section can be placed on one end. The other end also having a small section of temp seats as well to bring the fans closer to the pitch right behind the goal.
    This would at least place fans completely around the pitch so that the crowd noise can come from both sidelines and behind the goals.
    JMO

24. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    The Fury's home opener on a sunday is part of a double header weekend with the REDBLACKS home opener on that friday night. If I read the schedule right they will have 4 more weekends like this at TD place where both the REDBLACKS play on a friday night and the Fury on the sunday afternoon.
    Has OSEG offered a ticket plan that would get you a ticket to both games in a package deal?

25. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    The 67's season will also begin during the Fury and REDBLACKS season. I would wonder if they would schedule a 67's game on a saturday between a REDBLACKS Friday night game and a Fury Sunday afternoon game.
    Having a possible OSEG tirple header weekend ticket plan