Transfers for 2013/2014

Discussion in 'VfB Stuttgart' started by Winoman, Apr 18, 2013.

1. JB-Bundesliga

JB-Bundesliga Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #51 JB-Bundesliga, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
    I'm not sure if this is the right thread or not to comment on VfB's condition, but with Tasci's departure, it is transfer-related. All this stuff is interconnected. So I'll say here that while Tasci's move to Spartak Moscow is *really* bad timing for us, defensively -- I can understand the rationale pointed out here that he could use a change of scenery/momentum to maybe jumpstart his career. Good luck to him.

What does this mean for VfB? Well, I think it suggests that if they don't find a quality CB to at least (partially) replace Tasci -- I'm talking maybe 4-5 million Euros value -- by Saturday night and the end of the "pre"-season transfer window, then that sends a message. The message is this: we are writing this season off as a complete rebuilding one, with little or no intent of trying for Europe again, let alone mid-table.

I just hope they can avoid relegation. Maybe these are overly-dramatic comments, but that's what I'm taking away from all this. Our central D is absolutely frightening at the moment. You can sometimes get by with a little leaky D if you score a decent amount of goals. We all know how that's been going. But our defense is more than leaky right now. I wonder if they could somehow get Patrick Bauer back from Maritimo to shore up the backline...although he might not be any better than Röcker. Or heck, bring back Maza! Thank god we brought in Schwaab. And I think Rüdiger continues to show some promise, as long as he can keep his temper in check. I know it's early in the season, folks, and again I'm sounding like the harbinger of doom, but it's looking like a rough ride ahead. I'm too depressed at this point to even come up with a parody song about it...:cry:

2. JB-Bundesliga

JB-Bundesliga Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In researching the news about Tasci, just now, I came across some references to VfB bringing in Brazilian CB/DM, Vilson (Xavier de Menezes Júnior)...not sure of his name. He's 24 and 6'2", playing most recently for Palmeiras in Brazil.

I'm also not sure if this news is true, although Wiki, a sometimes(?) reliable source :p, is already listing him as playing for VfB. Of course someone could have got that wrong. But if true, at least management is making some attempt, albeit with typical Swabian stinginess, to plug the bus-sized gaps in our backline. But he doesn't appear to be the quality I would have hoped for.o_O

Winoman repped this.
  3. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
  4. JB-Bundesliga

JB-Bundesliga Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Mumbo

Mumbo Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  6. JB-Bundesliga

JB-Bundesliga Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the breaking news on this. From what I could tell from the Brazilian sites, they were considering the Vilson transfer a done deal. Rumors...

Don't know that much about Haggui. See he is 6'3", 29ya. Seems to have a somewhat aggressive history...lots of yellow cards??

7. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Red too. Also pretty injury prone. VfB really couldn't do any better??

8. Lamprey

Lamprey Member

Jul 2, 2010
    Las Vegas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haggui was signed as 4th choice. He's not intended to be more than a back-up. Tasci has been over-rated these past few years, Neidermeier has been the best CB. Tasci's wages are too high, he wouldn't take a pay cut in signing an extension so Stuttgart and him had to part ways. Sell him now so he doesn't leave on a free. A duo of Neidermeier/Schwaab or Neidermeier/Rudiger is just fine at CB. Haggui and Rocker can be the back-ups if they get injured.

Now in terms of this being a rebuilding year for Stuttgart, I guess so. They just don't have any money so they're sniffing for bargain buys and doing the best they can. The roster is pretty good and based on the 6-2 against Hoffenheim, I think the team is enjoying kicking Bruno to the curb. Bringing Kvist back into the starting line-up is a good move. Tough to say how this season will go for them. Mid-table is probably the safest bet.

9. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think basing any opinion on that 6-2 is foolish. The "new coach bump" always gets a club a decent result or even a few. What will they be when they return to earth is the question?

The team should have "kicked Bruno to the curb" against Rijeka.

Bruno definitely had to go, but VfB's issues weren't all Bruno's fault.

Time will show this.

10. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking the same thing as they celebrated like world beaters. We're going to surrender a lot of goals this year. If they can outscore their opponents often enough to stay clear of the bottom, that will have to be good enough for 2013.

footyfan1 repped this.
  11. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That seems to be what is going to take. And for the sake of VfB, I hope nothing happens to Ibisevic........

12. Fußballgott

Fußballgott Member

Jul 28, 2006
    For that past few season the club has either sold it's highest paid players or resigned them at reduced wages. It also earned about 7m € each year through transfers. Compared to Heldt's time the budget seems to me to have been reduced heavily. That's why I am also less critical of Bobic. Given the resources some loss of quality is inevitable. Especially as most other clubs don't follow this trend.

Is this because of a build up of debt, loss of sponsership or strategy? Noone knows as the club doesn't publish accounts.

13. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the "For what it's worth" department:
    Tunay Torun makes Turkish transfer
    Tunay Torun parts company with VfB and makes an immediate move to Kasimpasa SK in Turkey’s SüperLig. The 23-year-old midfielder made nine Bundesliga, one DFB-Cup and seven Europa League appearances for VfB since making the move to Stuttgart from Hertha BSC in summer 2012. The details of the move remain undisclosed.

http://www.vfb.de/en/aktuell/meldungen/news/2014/wechsel-torun/page/2782-1-1-.html?f2

14. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    18 y/o Ecuadorian central midfielder Carlos Gruezo (1995) on trial and practicing with the Stuttgart winter training camp in South Africa.

Scouts have been following his progress in Ecuador, where he features regularly as a starter for Barcelona SC Guayaquil. Invited to training camp so management can have a closer look. Final verdict still to be decided after the trial period but potential transfer fees have been stated to be around 1.5 mio.

[​IMG]

http://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/vfb-stuttgart/testet-supertalent-aus-barcelona-34114452.bild.html

Winoman repped this.
  15. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Mumbo

Mumbo Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Also they cleaned out a bunch of dead-wood (Kvist, Molinaro, etc.). Unfortunately, they also announced that Traore is leaving at the end of the season. Hopefully the team can grow together and not be so bad in the future (except the encouraging performance vs. Bayern).

Epitome990 repped this.
  17. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States