Whitecaps Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Mar 22, 2011.

1. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    unless other stakeholders in BC Place decide to ante up the rest of the money to get new turf, which in the long run of the next several years will actually save them money- i think the lions and whitecaps would be willing to sit down and talk about their involvement in a new turf as this one is worn out after only 3 years- the present turf looks disgusting, especially on TV and must be very difficult for the players

laying down temp grass at the neighborhood of $250 000 just seems like a waste of money for 3 games

2. soccerman2013

soccerman2013 Member

Oct 4, 2013
    I hope BC Place does not get new turf. Why? Because the worse it gets might get some serious motivation for a new Whitecaps stadium again. Not on waterfront but elsewhere. I love the main street area near the bus station. It is an empty wasteland with just industrial shit and empty land.

3. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    it would be a great place for a SSS- but if you recall, the caps have signed an extension to the contract with bc place corporation, which takes it to 2022 i believe- and by then the area east of main street along terminal avenue will have been redeveloped- i just dont see the caps promoting their own private stadium for a long, long time

what the caps- and the lions football team- need to do is put pressure on bc place to upgrade the turf to a hybrid and have less trade shows placed on the field during their seasons- will that happen??? a hybrid turf, maybe for the WWC in 2015, but less trade shows will not-

its all about revenue flow for the other 320 days when soccer and football are not using bc place stadium- its not a sports stadium- its a multi-purpose stadium which was its intended plan when almost $600 mill was spent on refurbishing it prior to the winter olympics of 2010

4. soccerman2013

soccerman2013 Member

Oct 4, 2013
    What is your source for the 2022 contract with BC Place?

5. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Caps executive bob lenarduzzi made that comment 1-2 years ago- i'm surprised by your lack of memory

6. soccerman2013

soccerman2013 Member

Oct 4, 2013
    You seem to have a tendency to make up things and call them facts. There is no official statement from BL saying they are locked into 10 years at BC Place.

7. Brittania

Brittania Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Was listening to Caps play-by-play guy, Peter Schaad and did he ever throw former skipper Martin Rennie under the bus after the former made suggestions about how to improve Canadian Soccer. Schaad was unable to provide any answers himself but did manage to come off as smug and condescending. I was shocked to say the least. Rennie did all those radio shows for Schaad and that is how he treats him? I hope Schaad is a one off for the organization. I still think that the Caps have alot of positives.

8. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nigel Reo-Coker- there is more to the story than he got injured by falling over a bike rack and now he is kept in vancouver for the RSL game because of illness- i just dont believe these stories

something else has happened and i think NRC might just find his way out of vancouver unless it is solved asap

he is slow in moving the ball in the fast-paced MLS, out of game-playing shape and has made major mistakes at critical times when he did play- he just does not seem to take his training very seriously and that is what is coming through when the coach, robo, speaks about him

maybe this has been NRC's downfall for all of his career- he isnt a serious professional when it comes to training and being game-prepared

and really-- do we need him as much as all of us thought we did for the 2014 campaign??

9. soccerman2013

soccerman2013 Member

Oct 4, 2013
    Hah, yeah the few times I catch Shaad I do hear the shots (mostly indirect passive aggressive ones) against Rennie. I don't like Rennie or the crap he spews to try to sell himself so I have no problem with Shaad taking the shots.

10. soccerman2013

soccerman2013 Member

Oct 4, 2013
    Personal issues aside (whatever they are), he just doesn't seem like a good fit with what the Caps are doing this year. Also, the guy gets a nice raise and is paid in the top 20 salaries in the league and he comes in out of shape to camp. I think it would be best to move him and do something else with the cap space.

11. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    agree with you- and it doesnt appear that robo will back off his benching of NRC until he shows a better attitude towards his fitness- on his game, NRC can be a dynamo, but i think the MLS game is just too fast for him now and he doesnt fit the ball possession game that robo wants for the caps - robo has a vision and plan for the caps team and i just dont think NRC fits into it
    its time to try and cut bait unless there is a significant change in the relationship between robo and NRC in the next month

12. soccerman2013

soccerman2013 Member

Oct 4, 2013
    Problem is at 400k (which is DP designation normally, but the Caps avoided that by paying down with the mysterious allocation money), and his problems, he is going to be very difficult to trade. A prudent GM would not waste that on this guy.

Although ,we did find someone dumb enough to give us a high first round draft pick for Eric Hassli! So, anything is possible.

Just to clarify, the pick for Hassli was for the 2014 draft (I always thought it was 2013 and the Manneh pick). We got #3 with it and got Christian Dean. This guy is going to be a stud defender so we fleeced them really good.

13. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    but we did get manneh through a deal with TFC

#4: New England Revolution → Toronto FC → Vancouver Whitecaps. 16 January 2013: Toronto FC acquired this selection and allocation money from New England Revolution in exchange for the #1 selection in the first round.[ref 1] On 17 January 2013, this selection was traded to Vancouver Whitecaps FC in exchange for allocation money and the #10 pick in the first round.

we have fleeced TFC again this year by getting mattias laba, a defensive MF, who is showing even at the age of 21 that he will be a quality MF- i believe it came with TFC getting needed allocation money because of their tight salary cap

so the Caps have taken 3 young quality players from dealing with TFC - manneh, laba and deane-

14. soccerman2013

soccerman2013 Member

Oct 4, 2013
    Ah, that's another one. Well, I would bet you with the new management at TFC it will be harder to fleece them in the future.

I would like to see Laba here for many years. He can really be an anchor on the field.

15. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    the caps have made a mutally -agreement with kenny miller to release him- 1 run of play and 2 PKs in 9 games (the 2 rookies, manneh and fernandez have 3 goals apiece with a lot less game time, and mattocks, a regular starter has 2 goals and 5 assists) says it all
    simply put- miller was not coming anywhere near his salary level value
    next up will be NR Coker- i think he is headed to the same door
    the youth movement is ramping up in vancouver

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In case you guys were wondering how the Whitecaps loanees were doing, watch these highlights from Friday where they along with their Charleston teammates destroy a Philly Union reinforced Harrisburg team.

17. Fynnsky

Fynnsky Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #493 Fynnsky, May 7, 2014
    Last edited: May 7, 2014

And that performance by Salgado has earned him a call-up. Looks like he'll be playing tonight against The FCs.

18. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    the caps youth found a way to come back and endure a 2-1 loss to a strong TFC- a nervous first half where TFC should have been up by 2 or 3 goals, and then a Caps solid second half, with robinson again making the right subs at the right time- the return match should be an exciting, tense game

game noters- alderson, teibert, mitchell, manneh, salgado;
    satisfactory- leveron, dean, mezquida, froese;
    not up to par- bustos, carduzzi, hurtado;
    disinterested and below par- NR Coker (his Caps days are numbered, IMO)

coming back to the Caps- salgado- playing himself onto the bench and coming on as a sub

19. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    latest rumor affecting the whitecaps is that camilo- the golden boot scorer for 2013 and then fled to the mexico league for higher pesos- but the team is bankrupt!!! and many players are not being paid- is being courted by MLS for a return

if the caps were being paid in installments, the we can presume that the bankrupt mexican team is not paying so the trade was not completed- in that scenario, one would assume that camilo is still a whitecap player if he does return to MLS

the dark cloud of him leaving would cast a huge shadow over his return... but i for one would gladly accept him back under the following conditions:

1. a heart-felt mea cupa, asking for forgiveness and pleading his naivity and vainness for leaving the way he did

2. the coaching staff and FO/Owners agree to him coming back and having the salary cap and finances to do it (remember that DP miller has not been resigned and has left the club and probably NR Coker is also on the way out, thus money should be available)

3. his teammates from 2013 agree with him coming so team unity would not be sacrificed

4. camilo wants to return to MLS and the caps

the fans would be all over camilo for the way he left, but a couple of goals would calm the crowd-- remember what mattocks said in the off-season and is now a cult hero again-- forgiveness can be won back

having an eager camilo back would definitely add to the caps team- his specialty of scoring on free kicks would be great to have back- he would add a lot of variation to the attack- he would integrate quickly as he knows the team, the players and the city

20. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I ran the Whitecaps and got back Camilo, I would trade him ASAP to the highest bidder, extracting a large amount of allocations or players.

21. soccerman2013

soccerman2013 Member

Oct 4, 2013
    I think the supporters groups would really hate Camilo coming back. But, the general Vancouver fan , probably will be happy with him if he scores and performs. So, I think it is worth the risk of pissing off a few people for the reward of more wins and increased ticket sales.

Here in North America, we have seen to many lockouts, player hold outs, walking out on contracts, refusing to report to camp, and on and on; that it really just seems like a sign of the times and not something to be furious over. As such, the marketplace as a whole will accept him back with open arms if he performs. Players who have done very evil things (Michael Vick dog fighting for example), are cheered and sell plenty of shirts as long as they WIN. Camilo breaking a contract is not difficult to forgive in today's pro sports environment.

Pavel Bure, for example here in Vancouver, broke a contract by refusing to report to the club and demanded a trade. And he sat out for quite some time. He is still well respected by a lot of people here, was easily forgiven, and is now an honored member of the team.

22. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes but in your examples, Vick never went back to Atlanta and Bure never actually left the Canucks until much later.

You are talking about a player that burned bridges on the way out and actually signed/played for another team.

23. soccerman2013

soccerman2013 Member

Oct 4, 2013
    My main point in all of this is not what he "did". We can all agree it was wrong, bad, shitty, dishonest, etc etc. My point is that the general fan of the Whitecaps (the 18,000 in the building who are not part of supporters groups) will forgive and forget about it once he starts scoring goals, and thus it is not a business risk for the Caps to bring him back. In North America, we have seen shit all the time with lockouts, money hungry players, lies, cheating , etc so we don't even get upset about it anymore (generally speaking, not you and me). It is just people in passionate supporters groups that are really opposed to his return to the point of maybe not buying a ticket, and even they would have a change of heart at some point if he helps the club win.

He should get a round of BOOS' in his first game back, and maybe turn our backs on his first goal, to make a point; and then we should all move on from it.

24. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    fully agree with you